BS/MS Research Scientist – Innovative Lentiviral Gene Therapies
- Cambridge, MA
900+ clinical trials validate that gene therapies are transforming the practice of medicine. As a Research Scientist of Innovative Lentiviral Gene Therapies, you will have an opportunity to join the NIBR Biologics Center (NBC) and be at the cutting edge, leading the development of innovative medicines that can improve lives of patients.
NBC builds the biologics pipeline in collaboration with NIBR Disease Areas and Platforms via a breadth of technologies for discovery of antibody, protein and gene therapy-based therapeutics.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist specialized in lentiviral gene therapies to drive the application of lentiviruses for CAR-T and beyond by joining the Biotherapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapy (BEGT) group within NBC in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The BEGT group drives a diverse portfolio of modalities including therapeutic proteins, multi-specific antibodies, CAR-T, RNA therapeutics and AAV. Through innovative and rational protein design as well as cell and viral engineering, the BEGT group works collaboratively with Disease area groups to broaden the use of biologics into therapeutic applications where conventional antibodies have limitations.
Your key responsibilities are, but not limited to:
• Integration into a team of highly talented scientists responsible to drive lentiviral innovation to patients.
• Together with a small team, establish and drive NBC's lentiviral vector core for production of a variety of LV pseudotypes at research scale for CAR-T therapies and beyond.
• Evaluation and implementation of approaches for regulatable gene expression/knockdown, optimized tissue-specific promotors and redirected lentiviral tropism.
• Bridge protein engineering expertise, conjugation and capsid engineering to bring the next generation of cell specific gene delivery platforms into the pipeline.
• Functional characterization of novel constructs via in vitro cellular assays for selectivity and activity.
• Interface within the team to bring novel designs and applications to our partners.
• Offer innovative approaches to scientific questions and troubleshooting efforts
• Identify unmet needs and collaborate for novel solutions
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• Expertise in LV therapeutic design, production and characterization and delivery is needed.
• Prior experience with AAV mediated gene therapy would be a plus.
• Knowledge in molecular biology, protein engineering, capsid and envelope engineering approaches to optimize expression, function and specificity of the transgene.
• Highly collaborative spirit inside and outside of department to advance programs; good communication skills, creativity, and multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
• Knowledge in application of lentiviruses to CAR-T therapy.
• BS/MS with more than 3 years confirmed experience in lentiviral-mediated gene delivery.
• Experience with working with human primary cells and chimeric antigen receptors (CAR-T).
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That's how many lives our products touch. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives? We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Back to top