Biomarker Strategy Lead, Multiple Therapeutic Area Head
- Cambridge, MA
800 plus biomarker discovery and development projects, across more than 100 clinical studies, which generate 20 petabytes of patient data! All waiting for you to unlock the next breakthrough in medicine.
Biomarkers are critical components of translational research, enabling robust therapeutic and mechanistic hypothesis testing in early clinical development, and as precision medicine enablers e.g. defining patient subpopulations, predicting patient responses, and use as diagnostics.
As a Therapeutic Area Head (TAH) in NIBR Biomarker Development (BMD) leadership, you will be successful by:
• Leading a dedicated matrixed group of biomarker subject matter experts and project team representatives to develop and oversee clinical project strategies, plans and timelines in partnership with line function leaders
• Leading strategic working groups centered on integrating and analyzing large-scale patient "omics" data sets to identify new indications, endpoints, and responsive patient sub-populations
• Representing Biomarker Development on Hepatology, Renal, Hematology (DAx) and Tropical Diseases (NITD) DAx/NITD Disease Area Decision Boards to identify, develop, and drive disease and mechanistic biology, translational pharmacology and precision medicine approaches for the portfolio
• Providing thought leadership with other BMD TAHs to identify synergies and drive innovation across our large and diverse clinical portfolio
• Implementing strategies in close collaboration with the BMD global organization which includes over 100 associates with expertise in all aspects of biomarker science i.e. genetics, genomics, molecular and cellular, digital devices, imaging and data sciences
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you will bring to the role:
• Medical degree required; additional PhD (or PhD-level research) desirable
• Scientific excellence and clinical expertise in hepatology, renal, hematology, rare diseases or infectious diseases evidenced by significant contributions to your field
• Human genetics or clinical imaging experience is desirable
• Quantitative expertise in biostatistics, bioinformatics, computer biology, statistical genetics, machine learning, or data science. Hands-on experience analyzing, interpreting, and publishing studies consisting of "omics" data e.g. genetics, genomics, proteomics
• Experience performing similar role within a pharmaceutical/biotechnology research company, clinical research organization or academic medical center
• Proven success in leading matrix (global, cross functional) teams including well developed interpersonal, communication (oral and written) and influencing skills
• Creative and innovative leadership with a sharp and objective intellect, and experience in balancing big picture thinking with detailed analysis
• Demonstrated passion for science, seeking out new clinical discovery opportunities and early clinical study approaches
Why Consider Novartis?
Nearly one billion. That is how many lives our medicines touched in 2019. Moreover, while we are proud of that fact, in our current world of digital and technological transformation, we must ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improved and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are empowered to ask new questions, make bolder decisions and take smarter risks.
We are Novartis. Join us and reimagine medicine
Back to top