Associate Director – Innovative Gene Therapies and AAV Vector Core
- Cambridge, MA
900+ clinical trials! That is why gene therapies are transforming the practice of medicine. As an Associate Director of Gene Therapies, you will have an opportunity to join the NIBR Biologics Center (NBC) and be at the cutting edge, leading the development of innovative medicines that can improve lives of patients.
NBC builds the biologics pipeline in collaboration with NIBR Disease Areas and Platforms via a breadth of technologies for discovery of antibody, protein and gene therapy-based therapeutics.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist and leader specialized in viral and non-viral gene therapies with an emphasis on AAV to join the Biotherapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapy (BEGT) group within NBC in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The BEGT group drives a diverse portfolio of modalities including therapeutic proteins, multi-specific antibodies, CAR-T, RNA therapeutics and AAV. Through innovative and rational protein design as well as cell and viral engineering, the BEGT group works collaboratively with Disease area groups to broaden the use of biologics into therapeutic applications where conventional antibodies have limitations.
Your key responsibilities are, but not limited to:
• Lead a team of highly talented scientists responsible to drive AAV innovation to patients.
• Evaluation and implementation of approaches for regulatable gene expression/knockdown, optimized tissue-specific promotors and redirected tropism.
• Management of NBC's AAV viral vector core for production of a variety of AAV serotypes at research scale (discovery through NHP).
• Bridge protein engineering expertise, conjugation and capsid engineering to bring the next generation of cell specific gene delivery platforms into the pipeline.
• Functional characterization of novel constructs via in vitro cellular assays for selectivity and activity.
• Interface with downstream development colleagues to bring lead candidates towards full developmment.
• Offer innovative approaches to scientific questions and troubleshooting efforts
• Identify Disease Area's unmet needs and collaborate for a novel therapeutic solution
EEO Statement The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
What you will bring to the role:
• Expertise in AAV therapeutic design, production and characterization and delivery is essential.
• Prior experience with lentiviral mediated gene therapy and nonviral gene therapies would be a plus.
• Knowledge in molecular biology, protein engineering and capsid engineering approaches to optimize expression, function and specificity of the transgene.
• Highly collaborative spirit inside and outside of department to advance programs to clinic; good communication skills, creativity, and multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
• Knowledge in application of gene therapy to biology in the areas of oncology, immunology, neuroscience, muscular skeletal disorders or opthamology.
• PhD with more than 10 years relevant experience in AAV mediated gene delivery.
• Experience managing and mentoring direct reports including PhD level scientists.
799 million. That's how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we're proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people's lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you're given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you're empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you're surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world's toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Back to top