Participates as a member of the perioperative team by performing direct and indirect perioperative tasks for patient having surgical procedures; performs delegated patient care activities according to level of education/training and demonstrated competency in required skills, to ensure patient safety.
- Participates in turnover activities and room set up for each surgical procedure.
- Assists with surgical set up including the connection of suction, electrical cords, power cables and electrocautery.
- Uses supplies in a cost effective manner.
- Assists with room turn over and maintenance of the operating room environment.
- Breaks down the operating room following each surgical procedure.
- Assists with ensuring adequate supply of stock for patient care.
- Effectively communicates with all members of the team regarding the need for special equipment and supplies.
- Communicates and documents implementation of care, according to policy.
- Collaborates with the surgeon to ensure proper labeling of all specimens from the surgical field.
- Ensures appropriate and safe use of equipment and instrumentation pre, intro and post operatively; second assists as needed under the direction of the surgeon.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the procedure and ability to anticipate need of the surgical team.
- Correctly holds retractors as prescribed b the supervising physician.
- Anticipates the need for surgical equipment and supplies, obtains the same.
- Checks and/or troubleshoots equipment for proper functioning prior to use; appropriately removes malfunctioning equipment from use.
- Performs sponge, sharp, and instrument counts with the RN according to policy
- Performs related duties, as required.ADA Essential Functions
- High School Diploma or equivalent, required.
- Graduate of an Operating Room Technician Program, required.
- Successful completion from a nationally accredited educational program for surgical technologist, and holds and maintains a certified surgical technologist (CST) credential administered by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA), required.OR (meets one for the following)
- Completed an appropriate training program for surgical technology in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, or Public Health Service Commissioned Corps;
- Provides evidence that the person was employed as a surgical technologist in a healthcare facility for a cumulative period of one year, occurring within the four years immediately prior to January 1, 2015; or
- In the service of the federal government, to the extent the person is performing duties related to that of a surgical tech.
- *a person may be employed or contracted with to practice surgical technology during the 12-month period immediately following successful completion of a surgical technology program, but may not continue to be employed beyond that period without documentation that the employee holds and maintains a certified surgical technologist credential required.
- Must be and remain in good standing with NYS regulations, required.
- Minimum of one (1) year OR Technician experience, preferred.