Supervises and coordinates the staff and activities of the respiratory therapy staff. Functions as a respiratory therapist. Helps to maintain equipment and appropriate levels of supplies.
- Promotes Respiratory Care department goals by selecting, motivating, and training capable team members.
- Leads the activities of assigned Respiratory Care team members by communicating and providing guidance toward achieving department objectives.
- Supervises and coordinates the activities of the respiratory therapy staff, functions as a respiratory therapist, and helps to maintain equipment and appropriate levels of supplies; hires, trains, disciplines, and supervises staff; evaluates performance and ensures appraisals are completed on a timely basis.
- Coordinates the Preventative Maintenance Program; assures that all patient care equipment is maintained as per manufacturer specifications; ensures completion of department statistics and prepares monthly and yearly reports as directed; ensures policies and procedures are followed carefully by all respiratory therapists.
- Maintains weekly overtime usage report; prepares daily assignments schedule for the shift; makes the best use of staff time during the shift through careful coordination of daily assignments.
- Maintains appropriate inventory of all equipment and supplies; ensures the proper management and administration of all therapeutics and diagnostics; ensures monitors established for the department's quality assurance plan are maintained.
- Ensures a review and evaluation of the quality of respiratory care services is performed at least quarterly; ensures accurate, complete physician prescription; compares prescription requisitions with medical record order form to ensure accuracy.
- Ensures prescription has complete information, per policy; clarifies any discrepancies with physician; provides prescribed respiratory therapy.
- Performs bedside vital capacity, respiratory force peak flow measurements; administers various oxygen concentrations, aerosol medication devices and mechanical ventilators; supervises oxygen supported ambulation.
- Performs chest physical therapy i.e., cupping and coughing; provides and maintains mechanical ventilators on assigned unit; responds to Cardiac Team and STAT situations.
- Provides nasotracheal or artificial airway suctioning; performs intubation and arterial blood gas puncture analysis; documents all activities and patient outcomes/responses on approved hospital forms.
- Performs related duties as required. All responsibilities noted here are considered essential functions of the job under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Duties not mentioned here, but considered related are not essential functions.
- Associate's Degree required, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Current License to practice as a Respiratory Therapist in New York State, and Current Respiratory Therapist (NBRC) Certification in New York State required, plus specialized certifications as needed.
- 4-6 years of relevant experience and 0-2 years of leadership / management experience, required.