Assembles, primes, re-circulates, and tests the extracorporeal circuit prior to initiation of heart-lung bypass. Monitors and observes the operations of the heart-lung machine during procedure.
- Assembles, primes, re-circulates, and tests the extracorporeal circuit prior to initiation of heart-lung bypass.
- Modifies extracorporeal circuit and/or incorporates the use of special equipment to accommodate operative procedure to be performed.
- Makes adjustments, based on the patient's physiologic parameters, as required to maintain adequate perfusion.
- Responsible for the administration of medications, blood components, and anesthetic agents via the extracorporeal circuit.
- Disassembles and cleans the perfusion equipment following termination of the procedure.
- Orders and maintains adequate supplies from various departments (e.g. Central Supply, Warehouse, Pharmacy, etc.).
- Monitors and observes the operation of the heart-lung machine.
- Obtains blood samples during procedures.
- Performs advanced blood therapies including PRP, platelet Gel, hemofiltration, and autotransfusion.
- Performs related duties as required. All responsibilities noted here are considered essential functions of the job under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Duties not mentioned here, but considered related are not essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree required, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Current Clinical Perfusionist (ABCP) Certification in New York State, and Current License to practice as a Perfusionist in New York State required, plus specialized certifications as needed.
- 1-3 years of relevant experience, required.