As a Histology Technician you will perform routine cutting and staining of surgical specimens including frozen sections and special stains.
- Performs procedures necessary for the processing specimens for microscopic histological examination including performing gross examination and dictation of biopsy and non-complex surgical specimens requiring indirect supervision by a Pathologist.
- Assist pathologist in performing procedures necessary for the processing and interpretation of frozen section specimens.
- Assists physicians to perform Fine-Needle-Aspiration (FNA) procedures
- Utilizes computer systems for processing Histology and/or Immuno-histo-chemistry specimen information according to departmental procedures.
- Notifies Supervisor of problems and unusual specimens as they occur
- Performs routine and special staining procedures, as directed
- Maintains equipment in operating condition by performing and documenting routine preventative maintenance Troubleshoots equipment malfunctions and documents action taken
- Performs and documents Histology and Immuno-histo-chemistry quality control procedures.
- Maintains cleanliness of workbench and surrounding area, and follows established safety and infection control procedures.
- Assists in revision and update of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) manual
- Maintains inventory of chemical reagents and supplies
- Prepares solutions for Histology procedures when necessary.
- Prepares Immuno-histo-chemistry specimens that are to be sent out to reference labs and maintains a supply of packing materials and forms. Documents the return of slides and blocks from reference *PHYSICAL DEMAND: Occasional pushing, stooping, stretching, pulling lifting (objects 5-10 lbs). Frequent standing, sitting, walking, carrying of small objects.
- A.A.S. degree preferred. High school diploma or equivalent required. ASCP certification preferred.
- Licensed by New York State Education Department (NYSED) as a Certified Histology (or Clinical Laboratory) Technician, required.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in laboratory histological procedures.