- Manhasset, NY
Contributes to the Hospital's mission by screening pap and non-GYN tests as requested in physician orders. Performs and triages accurate tests as prescribed by the physician in a timely manner so clinicians receive accurate result enabling them to provide the best possible care.
- Prepares non-GYN and GYN specimens for evaluation by following established protocols; ensures specimen integrity throughout the process; attends fine needle aspiration (FNA) procedures when necessary.
- Utilizing a microscope, screens slides manually and by using automated instrumentation, which requires fine motor coordination and manual dexterity; identifies cellular changes caused by the disease process; provides diagnosis and triages slides for further review as necessary.
- Screens non-GYN slides to provide a primary diagnosis and triage slides and findings to pathologist for final diagnosis and sign out.
- Troubleshoots test anomalies and system problems in a logical manner to ensure accurate tests.
- Performs quality control checks and equipment maintenance, adhering to high quality standards.
- Responds to supply and equipment issues timely to ensure optimum operations and equipment quality and long-term equipment maintenance and life; reviews supplies inventory, communicates supply needs and rotates supplies when new stocking is received.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment presenting a professional impression of facilities and fostering our culture of safety.
- Reviews and sign-outs quality control and patient results into the electronic medical records system in a timely manner so clinicians and patients get their results as quickly as possible; expedites results to pathologists for stat and rush cases.
- Takes status and result requests and other questions from patients and clinicians in a timely and professional manner.
- Performs related duties as required. All responsibilities noted here are considered essential functions of the job under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Duties not mentioned here, but considered related are not essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree required,
- Current License to practice as a Cytotechnologist in New York State required, plus specialized certifications as needed.
- 0-1 years of technical experience, required.
Back to top