Performs clinical laboratory procedures, examinations and other tests pursuant to established protocols including maintaining equipment and records, and performing quality assurance activities related to examination performance requiring the exercise of independent judgment and responsibility.
- Performs assays of biological specimens according to established policies and procedures, utilizing specific instruments, equipment, reagents and techniques.
- Reviews and reports results. Maintains proper documentation of action taken; alerts supervisor to problems and/or unusual or critical results as they occur.
- Maintains equipment in operating condition by performing routine preventive maintenance, including start-up and shut-down procedures of major instruments; maintains proper documentation of these procedures.
- Performs and documents Quality Control Procedures and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) manual; follows the Laboratory's policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the Laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance; maintains cleanliness of workbench and surrounding area and follows established safety and infection control procedures.
- Treats proficiency test samples, with respect to receipt and analysis, in the same manner as patients' specimens; performs special test procedure as directed.
- Identifies, corrects and reports to management problems that may adversely affect test performance or results reporting.
- Documents corrective action taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications.
- Troubleshoots equipment as necessary to correct malfunction.
- Maintains proper documentation of action taken.
- Performs related duties as required. All responsibilities noted here are considered essential functions of the job under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Duties not mentioned here, but considered related are not essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Current License to practice as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist in New York State required, plus specialized certifications as needed.
- 0-1 years of technical experience, required.