X-Lab Principal Engineer Software (20-235)(20-293)
- Colorado Springs, CO
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Engineering organization pushes the boundaries of innovation, redefines engineering capabilities, and drives advances in various sciences. Our team is chartered with providing the skills, innovative technologies to develop, design, produce and sustain optimized product lines across the sector while providing a decisive advantage to the warfighter. Come be a part of our mission!
Northrop Grumman Space Systems (NGSP) is looking for you to join our team as an XLAB Lab Software Engineer based out of Schriever AFB, CO.
What You'll get to Do:
The Command and Control, Battle Management, and Communications Experimentation Laboratory (C2BMC X-Lab) is a very fast paced and dynamic environment. The X-Lab is responsible for developing and integrating future-capability prototypes for the Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS) including Sensor/Weapon Integration, Algorithm Development, User Interface Development and other critical leading-edge missile defense technologies. The X-Lab has a need to augment the team with a junior-level software engineer that holds a Secret clearance (TS/SCI desired) and possesses demonstrable skills in the following areas:
- Software engineering of new capabilities
- Software development with Java (or other object-oriented language)
- Object-Oriented development principles and patterns
- Generate detailed and repeatable tests
- Good communication skills (written and oral)
This position will focus on the integration of the R&D systems into C2BMC and will contribute to other ongoing X-Lab projects as needed. Including the assessment on how the C2BMC prototype system performs using state vectors, integrating source tracks into the prototype and assessing track processing results, generating and assessing concurrent radar and sensor tracks during M&S and live flight test events, and enhancing experimental prototypes based on results of these activities. The Software Engineer will apply these results to identify and work to enhance C2BMC for future operations. The Software Engineer must possess an understanding of software development processes and principles and be able to communicate the desired capabilities to a diverse group of developers, engineers, subject matter experts, and system users. The Software Engineer should be comfortable with rapidly changing requirements, design challenges that require novel solutions, fast-paced activities, and tight deadlines.
- An active Secret clearance is required.
- A minimum of 5 Years relevant work experience with Bachelor's degree; or 9 years' relevant work experience in lieu of a degree.
- The Software Engineer must have [3-5] years of experience working in an integrated team environment with other systems, software, and specialty engineers to develop solutions that includes a background in all aspects of the software development life cycle.
- The Software Engineer should have demonstrated contributions to object-oriented software development and testing that included the ability to analyze high level needs and defined a structured and logical approach to refine the capability into an integrated set of requirements that led to a fielded product.
- The Software Engineer should have demonstrated the ability to communicate effectively, clearly present technical approaches and findings, and have experience in writing and implementing engineering plans within a project.
- Ideally, the Software Engineer will have experience in working on IRAD-type projects.
- Experience with network architecture design that is composed of multiple domains.
- Expertise in IA posture and cybersecurity.
- Good working knowledge of Ballistic Missile Defense concepts, Battle Management and Command and Control (BM/C2) systems, defense communications systems.
- Candidate holding a TS or TS/SCI is preferred.
- The primary work location is the Missile Defense Integration and Operations Center (MDIOC) located on Schriever AFB, CO.
- The following knowledge base and/or skills are desired for the Software Engineer:
- Test driven development and continuous integration
- Software architecture design
- Service Oriented Architecture development principles
- Ability to refactor code for reusability, readability, and maintainability in an object-oriented codebase
- Application deployment, integration, and troubleshooting
- Operating systems experience with Windows & Unix/Linux
- Experience with the Eclipse IDE, Maven, and Git
- Conduct and participate in peer reviews
- Ability to extract data to support analysis
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral)
- Implementation of algorithms
- Messaging interface development
- Theory and application of the BMDS
- Theory and application of command and control systems
- Theory and application of track correlation algorithms
- Familiarity with Link-16, including content, transmission rules, etc.
- Experience with COTS and FOSS
- Using the Agile methodology for software development
Northrop Grumman provides a comprehensive benefits package and a work environment that encourages your growth and supports the mutual success of our people and our company. Northrop Grumman benefits give you the flexibility and control to choose the benefits that make the most sense for you and your family. Your benefits will include the following:
Paid Time Off
Training and Development
Flexible Work Arrangements
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business. Learn about Northrop Grumman Total Rewards and Benefits.
Additional Northrop Grumman Information:
Northrop Grumman has approximately 85,000 employees in all 50 states and in more than 25 countries, we strive to attract and retain the best employees by providing an inclusive work environment wherein employees are receptive to diverse ideas, perspectives and talents to help solve our toughest customer challenges: to develop and maintain some of the most technically sophisticated products, programs and services in the world.
Our Values. The women and men of Northrop Grumman Corporation are guided by Our Values. They describe our company as we want it to be. We want our decisions and actions to demonstrate these Values. We believe that putting Our Values into practice creates long-term benefits for shareholders, customers, employees, suppliers, and the communities we serve.
Our Responsibility. At Northrop Grumman, we are committed to maintaining the highest of ethical standards, embracing diversity and inclusion, protecting the environment, and striving to be an ideal corporate citizen in the community and in the world.
Back to top