Weapon Systems Operator (WSO) 3
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems located in Patuxent River, MD has contingent openings for Weapons System Operators (WSOs) to work on the E-2D Integrated Test Team (ITT). This position is an Engineer Systems Test 3 (Weapons Systems Operator).
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems sector is seeking highly motivated WSOs to support E-2D air vehicle and mission systems, ground and flight tests. Candidate will be based in Patuxent River, MD and directly support the E-2D ITT. ITT test program support includes Aerial Refueling Experimental Flight Test, future air vehicle development programs, DSSC upgrade development testing, and future mission systems development programs. Weapon System Operator will conduct E-2D Mission System and Air Vehicle ground and flight tests, as aircrew, to support the Weapon System Specification verification process for developmental flight test. Act as engineering and data analysis liaison for Future Development Insertion for the E-2D Weapons System. Participate in Air Vehicle and Mission System Technical Interchange Meetings, Preliminary Design Reviews, Critical Design Reviews, and Flight Readiness Reviews. Write ground and flight test plans, procedures, training for other aircrew, and update NATOPS procedures when applicable. When designated as Test Conductor, be responsible for overall conduct of test and provide technical feedback to engineering in support of potential software and/or hardware modifications. Candidate shall display professionalism, leadership, have a strong work ethic, work well with others, and be able to function as member of the E-2D ITT. Travel in support of FMS programs as well as detachments lasting several weeks will be required. Positions are contingent on contract award and openings will be at WSO 3, 4, and 5 levels.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight for development of test plans / test cards to ensure safety and efficiency
- Assist engineering in development of Weapon System Specification
- Work with the Software integration Lab to determine WSS compliance
- Write Discrepancy Reports on new software and hardware functionality and work with engineering to determine potential corrections
- Based on new system capability, write NATOPS changes and brief other aircrew on new system requirements and functionality
- Work alongside Navy Test aircrew to ground and flight test new system hardware and software
- Write post-flight summaries and debrief engineers on success of flight and test points conducted as defined in the test plan
- Lead pre-flight briefs to efficiently coordinate complex testing with large team of aircrew and engineers.
- Lead post-flight debriefs to collect relevant test data and ensure lessons learned are captured for future testing
- Coordinate group training events to encourage continued learning within the test team
- Mentor other aircrew and Flight Test Engineers
- Incorporate lessons learned and process improvements to maintain / improve safety and efficiency within the team
- Bachelor's degree along with 5+ years' experience or Master's degree along with 3+ years' experience
- 9 years of exempt experience in Engineering, Test or as an Operator will be considered in lieu of a degree
- Interim DoD Top Secret clearance or higher
- Must be able to pass FAA Class II physical as a condition of employment
- E-2C/D Weapons System Operator experience
* Master's Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) discipline
- Test Pilot School graduate
- E-2D NATOPS qualification
Back to top