User Experience Designer 4
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking an experienced User Experience (UX) Designer 4 to work within our team of UX professionals for internal research and development. The position is located in Fairfax, VA.
The people at Northrop Grumman work on hard, complex problems that help military and civilian personnel. These complex problems require excellent user experiences, because the data is dense and overwhelming when not intentionally designed to be useful. Our users make difficult decisions and solve challenging problems that keep people around the world safe. To support our users and their missions, we have assembled a multi-disciplinary team of designers focused on building the right systems and services.
As a User Experience Designer, you will solve challenging information visualization problems for complex systems and will be responsible for translating user requirements into the visual and interaction design of user interfaces. Current projects draw heavily from the visual and interaction design of modern video games and industry best practices. You will apply principles and best practices from the fields of interaction design, visual design, user experience, and usability engineering to produce optimal designs. You must communicate design specifications clearly and accurately to customers and software engineers for implementation.
You will spend most of your time working directly on a project that teams humans with intelligent machines in immersive environments. You work hand-in-hand with UX researchers and developers to construct innovative, yet practical, solutions that meet the users' needs. You work closely with the principal investigator to define strategies for project effectiveness, team engagement and project strategic growth.
You lead with strong technical performance and by making your teammates and colleagues better. You love getting involved in projects to continue your own personal development, but also know when to delegate and collaborate to achieve larger successes. On your first day, you start to learn about the team and the staff on programs within the organization. You enable the team to be UX champions themselves: listening, teaching, and designing for the organization.
- Bachelor's Degree in Human Computer Interaction or related field with a minimum of 9 years related experience.
- Demonstrable success designing with one or more of the following visual design tools or similar tools: Illustrator, Photoshop, Axure, Sketchflow or Balsamiq.
- Experience working in a software-development team.
- Experience performing work without extensive direction and develop design solutions for a variety of complex problems
- U.S. Citizen. TS/SCI with poly clearance required.
- The candidate must be able to present to and represent the organization in front of executive and customer audiences
- Experience creating and communicating clearly via abstract diagrams and models of tasks, work, goals, information, design decisions, product wireframes, and prototypes.
- Experience with Adobe's creative suite.
- Experience with wireframe prototyping tools and user-centered design principles.
- Understanding of or experience with UX testing processes.
- Understanding of or experience with UX research processes.
- Experience with message shaping and storyboarding.
- Experience with 3D tools.
- Experience with developing animations.
- Experience giving UX and design specific presentations to a variety of audiences
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrable success working in a diverse team in an Agile software development environment.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/
Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/
AA statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top