Test Design Engineer 3/4
Northrop Grumman's Mission Systems Sector is seeking an experienced Test Design Engineer to be an instrumental part of Northrop Grumman's Test Design Engineering Team at our BWI campus. The Test Design Engineer will work independently or with a team to design, develop, manufacture, integrate and productionize automated test software, test consoles (containing multi-application stimulus and measurement equipment), electro/mechanical Interface Test Adapters (ITAs), cables and all associated documentation in support of test for a variety of avionics subassemblies and systems. He/she will be responsible for integration of test hardware and software with production Units Under Test (UUTs) and certification of the complete factory test solution.
One of the unique opportunities that Test Design Engineering offers compared to other departments is the Engineering work/experience in all disciplines (HW, FW, SW, and system I&T) or an opportunity to work deeply in one area. The Test Design Engineer will interface with a variety of other departments, including but not limited to: The Program Office, Prime Mission Equipment Design, Manufacturing, and Production Test.
Roles and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute automated tests to validate functionality in all phases of testing, including functional, performance and regression. Ensure developed software meets defined specifications.
- Design and documentation of automated test hardware and software.
- Document test anomalies and actively support the investigation and resolution of all anomalies.
- Develop and track plans for issue closure and risk mitigation.
- Respond with creative and flexible solutions in a rapidly-changing work environment while adhering to best testing practices.
- Test improvements and optimization, yield improvements and test time reduction.
- Continuous process improvement efforts in test coverage and test effectiveness.
- Participate in stand-up meetings with a collaborative team as part of an agile process.
- Support and maintain performance metrics and report status to management.
- Sensitivity to cost, schedule and quality as well as Northrop Grumman policies and procedures (Command Media) is imperative.
This position is a Dual Band Position. Candidates will be considered at both Levels 3 and 4 per the requirements listed below.
This requisition may be filled at either grade based on the qualifications listed below:
- Level 3: BS Degree in science, engineering, or other STEM-related degree plus a minimum of 5 years of experience - OR - an MS degree in areas described above with 3 years of experience.
- Level 4: BS Degree in science, engineering, or other STEM-related degree plus a minimum of 9 years of experience - OR - an MS degree in areas described above with 7 years of experience
- The ability to read and interpret test specifications, schematics and block diagrams.
- Mix of hardware and software skills.
- Test design and integration background.
- Experience with software development processes.
- Software skills to include experience with LabWindows/CVI.
- Software configuration management.
- Experience with the following test equipment: scopes, power meter, spectrum analyzer, signal generator and network analyzer.
- Background and working knowledge in RF theory and concepts.
- US Citizenship & active US Secret Level security clearance are required.
- An understanding of design and documentation of Automated Test and Test Work Instructions, and Interface Test Adapters (ITAs).
- Experience developing test set hardware and software, and working successfully to cost and schedule constraints.
- The ability to read and interpret test specifications, schematics and block diagrams for Line Replaceable Units (LRUs) and Subassembly Replaceable Units (SRUs).
- Radio Frequency (RF) design and test, test equipment and instrumentation
- PWB design and layout.
- VME Bus operation, control and design.
- Knowledge programming Single Board Computers, i.e. Curtiss Wright.
- Software skills to include experience with VXWorks, National Instruments LabVIEW, National Instruments TestStand, MATLAB.
- Hands-on experience with National Instruments PXI instrumentation.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top