Technical Editor and Writer 4
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems has an opening for a Technical Editor and Writer 4 in Huntsville, Al. Candidate will provide senior technical editor/writer services for the IBCS program in the development of operator, maintainer, and software configuration manuals.
Writes, rewrites and/or edits technical documents such as technical procedure manuals, user manuals, programming manuals, service manuals, operational specifications, and related technical publications to communicate clearly and effectively technical specifications and instructions to a wide range of audiences. Acquires subject knowledge by interviewing product developers, observing performance of production methods, referring to technical specifications, blueprints, engineering illustrations, and trade journals. Oversees preparation of illustrative materials, selecting drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts. Conducts quality review of materials, provides statuses and reports as required, and interfaces directly with the customer and Life Cycle Management Command publications representatives. This position may call for team lead functions to include the distributing of assignments, tracking progress among a team, and representing developed products.
The qualified candidate must have 10 years of experience with a Bachelors or 8 years of experience with a Masters.
- Be able to acquire and maintain a DoD SECRET clearance.
- Be extremely familiar with the use of DoD MIL-STDs (MIL-STD-40051-, MIL-HDBK-1222, MIL-STD-2361).
- Be proficient in the use of Arbortext Editor, MS Office Suite, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Be proficient in the use of the Interactive Authoring Display System (IADS).
- Be proficient in XML tagging for paged-based and frame-based technical manual development.
- Be proficient in the function and use of Document Type Definitions (DTDs), style sheets, and associated LiveDTDs.
- Be able to utilize appropriate DTDs, Style Sheets, and xml specifications to create, write, edit, review, finalize, and publish Operator and Maintainer Field and Sustainment level ETMs and IETMs as well as SUMS, SAMs, and TBs.
- Have the ability to research, review, and understand technical information, interpret engineering drawings, and develop procedural information for technical documentation.
- Have extensive familiarity with managing documents written for multiple version of hardware and software products through multiple revision cycles.
- Be able to actively participate in peer reviews, Validations, Verifications, and Logistics Maintenance Demonstration events to ensure accuracy, usability and compliance of IETMs/ETMs with contract requirements and associated specifications.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills and be able to prepare and present reports and presentations using MS Office products to co-workers, managers, and customers.
- Familiarity with the creation, editing , review, finalization, and publishing of DMWRs, PMCs, LOs, MWOs, BDARs, and SBs pamphlets pocket guides, quick reference guides, and commercial pamphlets across multiple services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, and Coast Guard).
- Experienced developing technical materials in an agile software developmental framework environment with daily scrums and monthly sprints.
- Familiarity with Virtual computing environment.
- Familiarity with file management practices and Microsoft SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regular expression and macro development.
- Knowledge of XSL creation/modification to transform and extract data from xml files.
- Knowledge of Government Printing Office (GPO) style guide.
- Knowledge of Beyond Compare, Ultra Edit, and XMLSpy software.
- Ability to stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time, and potentially climb upon large vehicles or systems. May occasionally be required to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Have the ability to travel (<10%) when required.
- Have the ability to multitask on more than one project at a time.
- Have the ability to work with a group or independently, and be able to complete assigned tasks within the required deadlines.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top