Technical Editor and Writer 3
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems has an opening for a Technical Editor and Writer 3 in Huntsville, Al. Provides technical editor/writer expertise in the development of operator, maintainer, and administrator software and technical manuals.
Writes, rewrites and/or edits technical documents such as technical procedure manuals, user manuals, programming manuals, service manuals, operational specifications, and related technical publications to communicate clearly and effectively technical specifications and instructions to a wide range of audiences. Acquires subject knowledge by interviewing product developers, observing performance of production methods, referring to technical specifications, blueprints, engineering illustrations, and trade journals. Oversees preparation of illustrative materials, selecting drawings, sketches, diagrams and charts. Conducts quality review of materials, provides statuses and reports as required, and interfaces directly with the customer and Life Cycle Management Command publications representatives.
The qualified candidate must have 6 years of experience with a Bachelors degree or 4 years of experience with a Masters.
- Be ble to obtain and maintain a DoD SECRET clearance.
- Be proficient in the use of Arbortext Editor, MS Office Suite, and Adobe Acrobat Professional.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the development (creation, writing, editing, reviewing, finalization, and publishing) of paged-based and frame-based technical manuals utilizing xml editing software. To include but not limited to: IETMs, ETMs, SUMs, SAMs, and TBs.
- Be proficient in the development Operator, Maintainer, and Sustainment level IETMs and ETMs to include Repair Parts and Special Tools List.
- Be proficient in the function, use, and manipulation of DTDs, style sheets, and associated Live DTDs.
- Have the ability to research, review, understand technical information, interpret engineering drawings, interface with maintenance engineers and provisioners, and develop procedural information for technical documentation.
- Be able to participate in peer reviews, Validations, Verifications, and Logistics Maintenance Demonstration events to ensure accuracy, usability and compliance of IETMs/ETMs with contract requirements and associated specifications.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills and be able to prepare and present reports and presentations using MS Office products to co-workers, managers, and customers.
- Extensive familiarity with DoD specifications MIL-STD-40051-, MIL-HDBK-1222, MIL-STD-2361, and MIL-STD-38784.
- Familiarity with the creation, editing , review, finalization, and publishing of DMWRs, PMCs, LOs, MWOs, BDARs, and SBs pamphlets pocket guides, quick reference guides, and commercial pamphlets across multiple services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, and Coast Guard).
- Familiarity of Government Printing Office (GPO) style guide.
- Knowledge of AMCOM's Interactive Authoring and Displaying System (IADS).
- Familiarity with military (U.S. Army) maintenance concepts to include the Army's two-level maintenance concept and maintenance allocation chart (MAC) use in TM development.
- Knowledge of Beyond Compare, Ultra Edit, and XMLSpy software.
- Ability to stand, walk, sit for extended periods of time, and potentially climb upon large vehicles or systems. May occasionally be required to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Have the ability to travel (<10%) when required, mostly within CONUS.
- Have the ability to multitask on more than one project at a time.
- Have the ability to work with a group or independently, and able to complete assigned tasks within the required deadlines.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top