Systems Safety Engineers - All Levels (Pipeline)
This position description does not represent a current opening but is being used to identify candidates with skills and experience for positions within Northrop Grumman that frequently become available. Candidates who express an interest may be considered for future positions at Northrop Grumman.
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems is currently seeking Systems Safety Engineers in Northridge, CA to work on the Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missile- Extended Range program in Northridge, CA.
Responsibilities for Systems Safety Engineers include (but are not limited to):
- Performs technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems.
- Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include: concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal.
- Ensures the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- Performs functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
- Perform fundamental aerospace safety tasking, including generation of fault trees, functional hazard analysis, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Failure Mode, Effects and Criticality Analysis, software system safety analysis, sneak circuit analysis, bent pin analysis, and system/subsystem hazard analysis.
Interpret system requirements, customer specifications, and military standards to develop appropriate safety requirements for hazard mitigation or elimination.
Generate and updating required System Safety documents such as SSPP, RHA, SCA, FTA, BPA, SSHA, SARs.
Apply environmental, military, federal, national, and industry regulatory safety standards and codes such as NIOSH, OSHA, NFPA, DOE, UBC, CFR, ASTM, ANSI, RCC, AFOSH, PESHE, MIL-STD-882, and AFSPCMAN 91-710.
Apply engineering principles to assess design compliance of a complex aerospace system and synthesize rationale and justification for Safety waiver requests and hardware non-compliances.
Identify technical issues, proposing solution options, and following through to resolve the issues with minor supervision.
Interface with internal and external customers and associates in engineering and program management.
Generate and presenting status charts at program and customer meetings.
- Bachelor's degree in an Engineering field and 2-20+ years of related experience in Systems Safety.
- High level understanding of tactical missile subsystems.
- Familiarity with requirements development and risk management.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships are a must.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and technical writing experience.
- Ability to communicate findings to varied audiences to gain support or resolve concerns.
- Self-starter capable of performing and prioritizing assigned tasks with very little direction.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Gov't issued Secret clearance (US citizenship is required).
- Current/activeSecret clearance or higher.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action-Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For a complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top