Systems Safety Engineer 3
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of major technological advancements throughout our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Systems Engineering Organization is looking for a Systems Safety Engineer 3 to join their team of innovative and diverse engineers. The position is located at our facility in Melbourne, FL.
The Systems Safety Engineer will perform system safety and software safety tasks. This includes the performance of System Safety analyses to identify, track, and control potential safety hazards that may impact the safety of personnel, air vehicles, or equipment.
- Prepare system safety program plans, conduct SS assessments in support of design organizations, provide safety surveillance for Production and Flight Test Operations
- Performance of Hazard Analyses, Fault Tree Analyses, and review of safety assessments and engineering designs for compliance with established safety criteria.
- Perform Software Hazard Analysis, including review of software requirements specifications, safety-critical software systems, change requests, and peer reviews.
- Perform mishap Investigation and identify cause and recommend/initiate corrective actions.
- Maintain and execute the program systems / software safety and essential function plans.
Familiarity with electronic systems and circuits and/or mechanical systems is required. The ideal candidate would possess a basic knowledge of aircraft concepts and operations, and have experience in the design and development of military aircraft systems, including avionics. Position also requires ability, knowledge and skills in software concept, architecture, requirements, design, code, and test analyses techniques necessary to support safety critical systems/subsystems.
- Bachelors in STEM field and 5 years of System Safety Engineering experience or Masters in STEM and 3 years of System Safety Engineering experience.
- Experience with defect analysis & troubleshooting of aircraft systems
- Service Engineering experience in aircraft systems in Airline, aircraft OEM, or component OEM
- Experience using technical knowledge database such as DOORS
- Experience with root cause analysis (RCA) and Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FEMA) methods, FMECA practices, and corrective action development
- Active DoD Secret clearance or higher and ability to obtain program access
- Experience in functions such as repairing and maintaining aircraft and aircraft related equipment/systems during chemical/conventional wartime activities.
- Experience performing functions such as installing, repairing, inspecting, overhauling, adjusting, aligning, rigging, and calibrating aircraft structures, systems, and components preferred.
- Experience operating aircraft and aircraft systems as a pilot/crew member; performing engine run-ups/aircraft taxi; accomplishing weight and balance functions; jacking, towing, and the general servicing of aircraft preferred. FAA Airframe and Power plant license a plus.
- Experience in one or more of the following:
- Mil-Std 882 System Safety
- Mil-Std 1472 Human Factors
- Mil Hdbk 516 Airworthiness Certification Criteria (Section 14)
- Mil Hdbk 454 General Guideline for Electronic Equipment
- AS 50881 – Wiring Aerospace Vehicles
- Technical Standard Orders
- FAA Service Bulletins
- FAA Advisory Circulars such as AC 25-1309
- SAE ARP 4761 Guidelines for Conducting Safety Assessment on Civil Airborne Systems
- SAE ARP 4754 Guideline for Development of Civil Aircraft Systems
- CFR 29 – 1910 OSHA Health Standard
- RTCA DO-178
- MIL STD 1808
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top