Systems Engineer, Staff - Program Protection System Security Engineer
- Redondo Beach, CA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
The Northrop Grumman Space Systems is seeking an exceptionally qualified and proven Program Protection System Security Engineer to join our System Engineering team. The candidate must be capable of leading technical efforts in support of program cyber and system security execution across various IPTs and for a geographically dispersed team.
Role and Responsibilities:
Candidate will perform system security engineering activities supporting all phases of systems development in the areas of Program Protection, Critical Program Information, Critical Component, Mission Critical Functions, Threat and Vulnerability Assessment, Criticality Analysis, Trusted System, Anti-Tamper, Supply Chain Risk Management, OPSEC, Security Classification Guide, Controlled Unclassified Information, DFAR for multiple programs and R&D activities at the Redondo Beach, CA and El Segundo, CA locations for embedded and large-scale distributed DoD space, computer, and communication systems.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Define system security requirements, architecture, design, development, evaluation, certification, and accreditation for embedded and large-scale, distributed DoD computer, and communications systems.
- Work with subcontractors and commercial vendors in the selection and evaluation of secure operating systems, applications, networks, hardware, databases, etc.
- Present information in a positive manner to management and customers.
- Work on multiple simultaneous tasks.
- Apply advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts to programs.
- Derive assignments using self-initiative, then pursue courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.
- Work on unusually complex technical problems and provide solutions, which are highly innovative.
- Develop advanced technological ideas and guide their development into a final product.
- Serve as organization spokesperson on advanced projects and/or programs.
- Act as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical research studies and applications.
- Collaborate on project management activities including planning, scheduling, budgeting and earned value.
- Lead security business development and acquisition activities including proposal development, estimation and technical evaluation responses.
- Apply risk management concepts to mitigate vulnerabilities in security architectures.
- Perform System Security Engineering trade-offs to examine cybersecurity, resiliency, and survivability design concepts, features, and countermeasures to minimize vulnerabilities, weaknesses, and implementation costs
- Coordinate program-wide effort to identify Critical Program Information and Critical Components driven by the Program Protection Implementation Plan
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and teambuilding skills. Strong writing and oral presentation skills; ability to write final-version deliverable technical documents and reports.
Candidates must have specific domain expertise in System Security Engineering / Program Protection; experience providing life-cycle support of Program Protection for requirements, architecture, design, implementation, secure software practices, validation and testing, and security assessments. Candidate must be familiar with DoD acquisition process and be able to independently assess system security solutions. The candidate will work across various programs and ensure system architecture, trades and certifications designs and implements information assurance and security engineering systems with requirements of business continuity, operations security, cryptography, forensics, regulatory compliance, internal counterespionage (insider threat detection and mitigation), physical security analysis (including facilities analysis, and security management). Assesses and mitigates system security threats and risks throughout the program life cycle. Validates system security requirements definition and analysis, establishes system security designs, implements security designs in hardware, software, data, and procedures. Verifies security requirements; performs system assessment and authorization planning, and testing, and liaison activities. Supports secure systems operations and maintenance.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Math) discipline from an ABET accredited university, and 14+ years of Systems Security or Systems Engineering experience in an Aerospace environment OR
- Master's degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) discipline from an ABET accredited university with 12+ years of engineering experience OR
- PhD in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) discipline from an ABET accredited university with 9+ years of engineering experience
- Strong systems engineering knowledge of military/intelligence systems.
- Experience developing system security engineering products and system security architectures, including development of CONOPS and Cybersecurity.
- Significant Program Protection experience
- Experience with Program Protection assessments (Critical Program Information, Threat, Vulnerability Assessment, and Criticality Analysis)
Candidate must have, and be able to maintain, at least ONE of the following active U.S. Government security clearances:
- Dept of Defense Top Secret level with a background investigation date within 6 years OR
- SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years OR
- Dept of Energy Q clearance with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years OR
- Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years
- Advanced degrees in Engineering, Software, or Science
- Significant experience in technical leadership role
- Experience working with Government agencies
- Experience with OPSEC, Security Classification Guide, Controlled Unclassified Information
- Knowledge of Anti-Tamper, Supply Chain Risk Management, DFAR
- Experience making technical presentations to internal and external customers
- Experience with proposal development, program management, and business development.
- Experience with system architecture modeling, MBSE, DODAF, UML, SysML, and use case development.
- Certification in one of the following: DoDI 8570 (CISSP), GSE, SCNA, GSLC, CISM
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top