Systems Engineer 3
AstroAerospace, a Strategic Business Unit of Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems, iscurrently in search of a Parts, Materials, andProcesses (PM&P) Systems Engineer 3 to support deployable spacecraftmechanisms in our Carpinteria, CA, facilities. Astro is the industryleader in space deployable systems, and since 1958, Astro Aerospace has enabledcomplex missions to Earth orbit, Mars and beyond with innovative deployablespace structures and mechanisms. Our products have been successfully deployedon hundreds of space missions with 100% successful missions in space.
Thequalified candidate must have at least 5 years' experience working as a systemsengineer, as well experience working with parts andcomponents such as motors, pyrotechnic devices, and harnessing. The candidate should also havebackground/experience in Materials and Processes with an emphasis incomposites, metals, and coatings. Thequalified systems engineering candidate should alsohave experience working as the primary interface between management,customers, suppliers, and specialty engineers supporting the satellite systems development process. Whilemost systems engineers have a background in other engineering disciplines, the best candidateswill also have the ability and interest tothink about the "big picture" from a systems perspective. The candidate must have experiencewith the core systems engineering process including requirements definition andmanagement, requirements management softwaresuch as DOORS, top-level functional decomposition, verification and validation,and organizing and coordinating other engineering disciplines and activities inorder to develop a complete system solution.
Theselected System Engineer 3's duties will include:
- Performing technical planning, analyzing customer and stakeholder needs
- Generating/developing requirements
- Performing functional analyses
- Allocating requirements to subsystems and components
- Managing and maintaining the requirements database
- Developing and tracking measures of effectiveness and performance
- System integration, verification and validation
- Cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analysis
- Parts and electrical components specifications and procurement including motors, actuators, pyrotechnic devices and harnessing
- Ensuring the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints
- Performing functional analysis, timeline analysis, detailed trade studies, and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications
Typical Analysesperformed at all levels of the total satellite systemproducts will include:
Theideal candidate will have a background in Aerospace, Electrical, Mechanical,Systems, and/or Materials & ProcessEngineering with the ability to see the big picture and be ready to take onbroader responsibility. The candidate must also have experience in Parts,Materials and Processes (PM&P). Background and/or experience with Requirements Management tools (e.g.,DOORS) and processes is highly desired and aplus.
- BS STEM degree with 5 years' experience in Systems, Aerospace, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering OR
- MS Degree in Systems or Aerospace Engineering with 3 years' experience in Systems, Aerospace, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering
- Experience working with requirements management software
- US citizenship required
- Participated in a system development cycle preferably from beginning to end
- BS or MS Degree in Aerospace or Systems Engineering
- 7 years' experience in Systems, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering preferred
- Requirement management (DOORS or equivalent) software experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top