Systems Engineer 17-735 Sr. Discrimination & Tracking
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) was selected by the U.S. Missile Defense Agency to participate on the Missile Defense National Team. This team was chartered to develop a Ballistic Missile Defense System for the United States. Air & Missile Defense Systems (A&MDS) serves as Northrop Grumman Mission Systems' focal point for all activities associated with missile defense, including Command, Control, Battle Management and Communications (C2BMC), simulation & modeling, systems engineering, and target discrimination.
- Perform end-to-end analysis of the Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS) supporting the systems engineering process for the Missile Defense Agency (MDA).
- Analyses will be performed utilizing large-scale complex BMDS modeling and simulation (M&S) tools applying discrimination techniques using multi-target tracking, multi-phenomenology and multi-sensor correlation algorithms with emphasis on integrated discrimination and tracking.
- Assist in requirements development related to discrimination and tracking. Individual will coordinate analysis activities and products with functional group leads.
Document analysis results in reports and briefings to be presented to the Missile Defense Agency Engineering Team – Industry (MET-I) and Missile Defense Agency (MDA) representatives.
- 9 Years with Bachelors in Science; 7 Years with Masters; 4 Years with PhD.
- Experience modeling and analyzing sensor target tracking to include application of Kalman filtering techniques, bias, noise filtering, track accuracy, various tracking techniques, target acquisition and sensor pointing.
- Must have a technical background in statistical modeling and some algorithm experience using MATLAB
- At least two of the following: EO/IR sensors, RF/Radar sensors, missiles/interceptors, threats, and discrimination.
- Experience analyzing complicated physics problems using medium- to high-fidelity parametric models/simulations utilizing Monte Carlo techniques to provide insight into performance capabilities of real-world weapon systems. Experience developing or assessing system requirements.
- Must possess good written and oral communication skills to include giving presentations.
- Capable of working both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to mentor less experienced personnel in areas of sensor tracking related techniques
- Demonstrated discrimination experience associated with BMDS or similar experience translatable to discrimination between target sets, especially with radar systems.
- Comprehensive understanding of sensor and target/scene characteristics and real-world performance expectations is highly desired.
- Experience modeling and analyzing kill vehicles, BMD System Track, Signature-Based Target Object Map (TOM) Population, and Advanced TOM Techniques with Bias is desired.
- Experience with multivariate statistical analysis, data mining, data fusion, and regression testing are desirable.
- Experience in some or all of Ballistic missile defense system, Aegis Weapons Systems, Ground-based Midcourse Defense (GMD), Fire Control (FOM, GFC), C2BMC, BMDS sensors (EO/IR/RF), kill vehicles, interceptors, countermeasures, counter-countermeasures, or threats.
- Systems engineering and performance analysis experience with large, complex systems.
- Demonstrated innovative problem solving. Experience with the JAVA language is a plus. 15 years' experience desired.
- Some experience leading small teams.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top