System Safety Engineer, Sr. Principal
- Redondo Beach, CA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
The Northrop Grumman Space Systems is seeking an exceptionally qualified and proven System Safety Engineer.
The candidate will be expected to support tasks involving System Safety which may include:
- Reviews product systems, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications and operations, and establishes safety requirements for assigned systems.
- Independently analyzes and recommends safety criteria in system design, equipment and procedures to control or eliminate hazards.
- Develops safety documents as required to support customer and test/operational range requirements.
- Develops a System Safety Program Plan, and performs audits of operational areas and reports effectiveness of the system safety program.
- Participates in accident investigations involving damage to products or related facilities and assists in identification of causes and corrective actions.
- Evaluates the interrelationship of system safety requirements and other aspects of concept design and development requirements to ensure the most cost effective program.
- Independently completes safety analysis including Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Subsystem Hazard Analysis (SSHA), Test Hazard Analyses (THA), and support incorporating updates into the existing Hazard Tracking System (HTS) records and Safety Analysis Report (SAR)
- Bachelor's degree from an ABET accredited university in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 9+ years of Engineering/Systems Safety experience OR
- Master's degree from an ABET accredited university in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 7+ years of Engineering/Systems Safety experience OR
- PhD from an ABET accredited university in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 4+ years of Engineering/Systems Safety experience
Candidate must have, and be able to maintain, at least ONE of the following active U.S. Government security clearances:
- Dept. of Defense Top Secret level with a background investigation date within 6 years OR
- SCI access with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years OR
- Dept. of Energy Q clearance with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years OR
- Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years
- System Engineering background with specialization in System Safety
- Experience performing System Safety across all phases of a program
- Experience performing two or more of the following Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Subsystem Hazard Analysis (SSHA), Test Hazard Analyses (THA), and support incorporating updates into the existing Hazard Tracking System (HTS) records and Safety Analysis Report (SAR)
- Experience developing a System Safety Program Plan
- Software Safety experience
- Familiarity with MIL-STD-882E
- Familiarity with OSHA Standards
- Experience working on Space or Laser programs
- Experience leading a System Safety team/effort
- Experience with DoD safety programs highly desired
- Experience performing Safety on the floor during Integration and Test, Assembly, and moving of hardware
- Ability to apply extensive technical expertise in System Safety, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) and clearly present technical approaches and findings
- Ability to develop technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity
- Ability to work independently, without appreciable direction
- Ability to guide the successful completion of major programs
- Active Program Access, DoD SCI clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top