Sustainment PMP Engineer 5
The Sustainment PMP Engineer will provide support to the design, development, prototype fabrication, and design verification testing of communications system equipment. Types of hardware include receivers, transmitters, and digital processors, for avionics and ground mobile communications systems applications. Analyzes, researches, designs, develops and documents requirements for electronic and electro-mechanical components used in electronics hardware.
The candidate supports multidisciplinary design teams in the electrical and mechanical engineering analyses, design, drafting, development, testing and support of electromechanical embedded systems. Must have experience with microcontrollers, programmable logic, analog, power distribution, IO standards, cables/wiring/harnesses, power management, displays, batteries, and other components found in portable, rugged electromechanical products. Must be familiar with PCB layout activities including stack-up, outline, placement, routing, preparation for fabrication, EMI/EMC, RFI, and intrinsic safety.
The candidate works collaboratively with Engineers, Project Management, Manufacturing, Logistics, Quality, Test and other technical disciplines as part of a combined integrated team. Provides status input and tracking of assigned tasks. Interfaces with customers and internal corporate personnel.
This is a hands-on role requiring a thorough study and understanding of existing designs, in order to apply innovative engineering principles towards re-design and optimization. Must be able to read and understand electrical schematics and wiring diagrams. Additionally, the position works with new product development teams to ensure transfer of lessons learned. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to work effectively with peers and management alike in a high paced global environment.
Represents/Leads Electrical, Electronic and Electro-mechanical (EEE) components engineering function on team activities to integrate contractual and functional requirements into all aspects of proposals and program processes and documentation. Leads efforts in tracking DMS (diminishing manufacturing sources) data on components and identifying new/replacement components. Develops/design metrics and criteria to execute parts management plans for programs to ensure compliance with contractual, company and regulatory requirements. Conducts capability assessments and process validations to support supplier selection activities. Reviews and approves supplier and subcontractor material processing procedures. Provides component review dispositions for non-conformances, including subcontractors. Analyzes non-conformance trends to evaluate effectiveness of corrective actions. Recommends corrective actions to address non-conformances and failure analyses. Performs benchmarking and other forms of analysis to ensure specified processes capability levels are achieved.
Minimum Education / Experience: 10 Years with Bachelors in Science; 7 Years with Masters.
BSEE, BSME or BSCE
- Senior level engineering understanding of electrical schematic design, circuit simulations and multi-layer PCB layouts.
- Ability to understand current designs to support continual improvement activities as well as be able to troubleshoot design for most probable root cause.
- Experience with low noise, small signal manipulation (amplifying, filtering, scaling, converting, A/D, D/A), and microcontroller peripheral circuit design
- Understanding microcontroller firmware
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, and teamwork affinity – willing to mentor junior engineers on the team.
- Collaborate with Supply Chain and Supplier Quality and interact with third party suppliers of materials
- Select and recommend electronic and electrical components based on function, cost, availability, reliability, etc. for the use in the products manufactured
- Hands-on debug of designs from proof-of-concept through production
- Interface with production for continuous improvement
- Provide written technical specifications in a clear and unambiguous fashion
- Experience with statistical tolerance analysis
- Designing unique and innovative systems that can withstand abusive environments for extensive time periods and still maintain integrity in performance and function
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills with the capability of producing innovative electrical and system solutions
- Demonstrated knowledge of FMEA principals
- Demonstrated knowledge designing robust electronics systems to meet or exceed large temperature fluctuations, vibration and drop tests, EMI/ESD and regulatory testing requirements
- Strong leadership, interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Strong initiative and the ability to be self-directed in completing tasks
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and meet critical deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to represent the company professionally (internal and external Contacts)
o Internal Contacts: Peer Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Test Engineering, Test Technicians, Project Managers, Quality Engineers, and manufacturing team
o External Contacts: Materials Suppliers, Component Vendors, Regulatory Agencies
- Proficient with MS Office software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project)
- Write ECRs for products to correct errors and to resolve production difficulties
- Must be able to obtain a Secret Clearance
- Exposure to Printed Circuit board manufacturing process and soldering materials, process and failure analysis are pluses.
- Demonstrated ability to work with multi-disciplinary and cross functional teams.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top