Sustaining Engineering Software/Systems Engineer 3
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) is seeking an experienced Sustaining Engineering Software/Systems Engineer to provide technical expertise as part of the SENSOR program located in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
The selected candidate will contribute as a team member responsible for performing root cause analysis and solution development affecting the architecture, design and implementation of the GEODSS weapon system. This engineer should be experienced at orchestrating complex sustaining engineering activities at the sustainment contractor’s facility, Government owned Test Bed in Yoder Colorado, and occasional travel to GEODSS world-wide operational site locations.
Position provides the technical experience in support of the following tasks:
- Designs, develops, documents, tests and debugs applications software and systems that contain logical and mathematical solutions. Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers in the planning, design, development, and utilization of electronic data processing systems for product and commercial software. Determines computer user needs; analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops compilers and assemblers, utility programs, and operating systems. Ensures software standards are met.
- Participate with system stakeholders to coordinate objectives, requirements, design, implementation and test activities through operational acceptance of modifications to the weapon system operational baseline.
- Provide knowledge and expertise related to the GEODSS Weapon System.
- Apply Agile SCRUM processes to prototype development for the GEODSS weapon system.
- participate in the design migration of the GEODSS database access layer from Ada to Java, and the DBMS from Sybase to PostgreSQL
- Identify and develop efficient resolution of system problems/anomalies and associated investigations of unexpected system behavior
- Support determination and coordination of recommended system configuration(s) in support of operational activities and events
- Contribute to system and sub-system evaluations and checkouts to validate baseline changes ensuring suitability for operations
- Identify, develop and improve system operation and maintenance processes/products, including procedures, complex system configuration scripts, and supporting tools
- Assess system performance and robustness and make recommendations to improve/optimize
- Provide technical support to the coordination and execution of system maintenance tasks and other engineering events
- Potentially providing periodic intervals of on-call support to resolve system issues with minimal impact to operations
The position is normally day staff hours, but periodic intervals of extended support and the ability to work odd and/or extended hours may be required
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering or Scientific discipline, plus minimum 5-7 years relevant technical and real-time operations experience (computer science, electrical, aerospace or mechanical engineering preferred)
- A current SECRET clearance
- Ability to work at a Prime contractor and/or government facility within a multi-contractor badgeless team environment
- Solid presentation, coordination and communication skills are needed due to occasional interaction with engineers, Northrop Grumman and Prime Contractor management, and SENSOR/GEODSS Stakeholders.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrated and outstanding technical depth and breadth on relevant systems/subsystems (based on resume and interview)
- Must possess exceptional software and system troubleshooting skills especially within an operational environment with multiple and complex system dependencies and interfaces with other external systems
- Highly capable of resolving complex software issues through the development of innovative solutions
- Self motivating with the ability to proactively identify and complete assigned tasks with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated understanding of and practical experience with the system/software development lifecycle.
- Demonstrated and strong leadership, teamwork and collaboration skills
- Strong experience with workflow and collaboration tools such as Jira, Confluence, Crucible, Eclipse, Squirrel and Fortify, in an Agile development lifecycle (Kanban).
- Real-time operations experience in computer science, electrical, aerospace or mechanical engineering
- Experience working in an operational environment at a government customer test and operational facilities.
- Familiarity with GEODSS Weapon System customer, customer processes, and customer site procedures.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of system architecture implemented on the SENSOR/GEODSS program
- Strong analytical skills (proficiency with Java Persistence (JPA), Hibernate and Netty is strongly desired).
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top