Structure Design Section Manager
Are you interested in the opportunity to work for an industry-leading company whose work with cutting-edge technology is driven by something human: the lives our technology protects? If so, Northrop Grumman may be the place for you. It's not the systems that drive us: it's the soldier our systems bring home. It's not just the equipment that motivates us: it's the people our equipment protects. It's not the innovation that gets us up in the morning: it's whom those innovations serve. We're united by our work to help people and protect the world. And that mission makes our team even stronger.
When you join Northrop Grumman, you'll have the opportunity to connect with coworkers in an environment that's uniquely caring, diverse, and respectful. Employees share experiences, insights, perspectives, and creative solutions with some of the best minds in the industry. We collaborate through integrated product teams, cross-functional teams, and employee resource groups, while thriving through the support of training and development, mentors and every day coaching, along with extensive health and work/life benefits. We're committed to our employees' professional and personal development and success.
Northrop Grumman recruits top talent with traditional and non-traditional backgrounds in order to ensure our team is united, connected, skilled, focused and innovative. An inclusive workplace of people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives is the key to our performance. At Northrop Grumman, we want our employees to bring their whole self to work. All your different sides are welcome here, as we believe they make our team, our products and our services, that much better.
Northrop Grumman Technology Services (NGTS) seeks to fill a Manager Level 1 position for a Structure Design Section Manager in the Mechanical Department in San Bernardino, CA. This is a dual role encompassing both people leadership and technical performance.
Typical roles and responsibilities include:
- People leadership for an engineering design organization, to include performance management, career development, staffing, and merit planning
- Provide project and technical oversight for design activities performed by the group
- Provide ownership of and direction to the design processes used in the group
- Provide proposal inputs and review proposal content for both internal and external customers
- Support department initiatives, recruiting, technology roadmap creation, cross-campus/sector involvement, and NCTA project leadership
This position is also responsible for staffing and workload forecast; employee inclusion, engagement, mentoring and career development; employee training and identification and training of skills required to execute programs. The responsibilities include the recruiting, sourcing, onboarding, performance management and contract maintenance for the contractors working in the business area.
The successful candidate will clearly demonstrate strong leadership skills to achieve sustainable top performance. He/she will have a track record as an effective communicator and problem solver who is able to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. This candidate will demonstrate a commitment to ethics and integrity, and the capability to innovate while challenging traditional ways of doing business. Demonstrated abilities to build diverse and inclusive teams with high levels of engagement, including mentoring and coaching, are a must. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. This candidate will demonstrate a broad skill set that is balanced between interpersonal, business, and technical capabilities. He / she will have an ability to operate in a team environment and collaborate across the sector business areas as required to accomplish the team goals. The candidate will work closely with the directors and managers of other engineering disciplines, program directors and program managers. The ideal candidate will also be able to champion change within the organization, to achieve competitive advantage for the business.
To be considered for this position, the candidate must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Civil Engineering, or equivalent technical degree
- Minimum 2 years' experience and at least 1 year providing technical leadership of a engineering team
- A US Citizen able to obtain and maintain a Secret Clearance (or higher) per business requirements
- Familiarity with Aerospace Vehicle and Ground Support Equipment design
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential considerations:
- Master's degree in Engineering, Business Management, Engineering Leadership, or equivalent
- 2 years or more performing people leadership duties
- Current DoD Secret clearance
- Experience with metallic and composite part and assembly design for Aerospace Vehicle and Ground Support Equipment
- Experience with Aerospace Vehicle and Ground Support Equipment design
- Thorough knowledge of industry standards (e.g. ASME and MIL-STD)
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
Jacqueline operates on power electronics for Northrop Grumman’s space application projects. She meets with engineering groups, chats with customers, and works on circuit analysis.
Back to top