Structural Engineering Manager 2
- Brigham City, UT
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
We are currently seeking a Composite Structures Design and Analysis Engineering Manager to be part of the Engineering team in our Promontory Utah offices.
The Composite Structures D&A Engineering Manager 2 is a technical expert in the design and analysis of composite structures with understanding and knowledge of their production. The primary accountabilities are:
- Leadership and career development of a group of 10-15 technical owners responsible for the design, analysis, certification, testing and production of composite structures such as rocket motor cases, skirts, interstages, nosecones, aeroshells, etc.
- Foster environment of cooperation and teamwork with other engineering and non-engineering disciplines and departments (operations, program office, manufacturing engineering, quality engineering, tooling engineering, etc.)
- Provide challenging assignments as well as proactive coaching and mentoring to key talent as they assume increased responsibilities
- Champion Science and Engineering objectives to achieve business success
- Design support for Promontory and Bacchus Motor Value Stream Organizations(VSOs) with focus on new product design, development and resolution of production issues at Clearfield and Promontory
Principle investigator and contributor for design, analysis and test efforts involving composite structures, including troubleshooting and problem resolution
- Analyzes, researches and develops structural engineering specifications involving metals, non-metallic or composite structural materials for product design, or operation of product to include structures, mechanical, hydraulic, electrical and electronics, power plant, armament, heating and ventilating, equipment and maintenance designs. Analyzes damage tolerance, durability, design allowables and structural modeling. Specific structural engineering specialties include statics, stability, stress, thermal and fatigue analysis. Tools utilized may include Siemens NX, ABAQUS/CAE and a variety of in-house software applications
- Manage and provide mentoring to a diverse team of technical professionals to ensure their success, both within their current job functions and setting the stage for future job opportunities
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the team as they perform detailed design, analysis, testing and support production efforts through generation of engineering products such as drawings, specifications, finite element analyses, technical reports/presentations/memos, engineering test plans, engineering test reports, etc.
- Development, qualification, execution, and on-going support of new product development as dictated by program needs
- Provide technical design and production support to the Bacchus and Promontory Motor VSOs
- Provide MRB support and assist in disposition as needed to maintain production or testing schedule and ensure compliance with requirements
- Analyze, research and develop methods for composite structures design, analysis and structural modeling/simulation including strength, buckling, damage tolerance, durability/fatigue, fracture as well as acquiring material properties and material allowables
- Coordinate with functional organizations (other component design engineering, project engineering, process engineering, quality engineering, analysis engineering, program management, procurement, research and development laboratories) in the development and implementation of composite structures
- Represent composite structures D&A discipline to internal customers, external customers, and team members
- Conduct and coordinate peer reviews, analysis, project status, and customer reviews
- Support for resolution of material obsolescence issues, evaluation of replacements and recommended design/material changes to address issues
- Develop and improve engineering standards and command media
- Ensure team work products and deliverables comply with requirements and standards
Back to top