Staff Thermal Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on groundbreaking systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join efforts to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable commitment to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems is seeking a highly qualified, mission oriented Staff Thermal Engineer - Engineer 5 located in Redondo Beach. Candidate must possess an advanced understanding of the principles of radiation and conduction heat transfer in conjunction with environmental heating effects and parameters associated with spaceflight applications. Responsibilities include (but not limited to) the following:
- Thermal systems requirements development
- Thermal systems trades and architectural development
- Comprehend and analyze complex problems and develop solutions.
- Perform thermal analysis on space-based hardware using industry standard thermal analysis software/tools.
- Develop active and passive thermal designs using numerical solutions and hand calculations
- Identify and initiate corrective action of problems, discrepancies and deficiencies to ensure requirements (technical, schedule, & cost) are met and product quality is not compromised.
- Applies technical expertise to the planning, design, development and testing of thermal systems, as well as perform correlation analyses.
- Collaborate in and lead in team environment, to prioritize and adjust tasks to accomplish the project result, prioritize multiple responsibilities and/or accomplishing them simultaneously.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to lead and mentor junior engineers.
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Ability to interface with project management/IPT, RDE, SPM, customer and functional management.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- 14 years of engineering experience or 12 years of engineering experience with a Master's from an accredited institution or 9 years of engineering experience with a PhD from an accredited institution
Ability to obtain SCI, DoD Secret and/or Top Secret Clearance with SSBI
- Design, analysis and integration experience of spacecraft thermal systems
- Experience using thermal analysis tools (SINDA/G, SINDA/FLUENT, TSS, Thermal Desktop)
- An active in-scope SCI, DoD Secret and/or Top Secret Clearance with SSBI
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top