Staff Radiation Effect Engineer
- Redondo Beach, CA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for a Radiation Effects Engineer/Analyst 5 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.
The Radiation Effects Engineer 5 will perform analysis of systems, circuits and components in support of design development. This position will define threat environments and assess hardware designs under radiation & man-made effects. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in hostile threat environment definition and nuclear weapons effects. SGEMP and prompt dose rate test experience is welcome.
Additional responsibilities may include some of the following: project leadership, design review presentation, ground shock modeling, electromagnetic pulse modeling, debris impact, radiation transport, shielding and shadowing analysis, simulation of electronic components relative to radiation effects, parameter degradation, performing part evaluations, and single event effects.
- Bachelor's of Science Degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math) field from an accredited institution and 14+ years of engineering experience in aerospace radiation effects OR
- 12+ years of experience with a Master's Degree OR
- 9+ years experience with a PhD
- Practical working experience with nuclear environment modeling and nuclear weapons effects
- Technical experience in radiation effects analysis, shielding analysis, and survivability analysis
- Active, in-scope DoD Secret, SCI or DoE Q clearance
- Master's Degree in Physics, Applied Physics, or Nuclear Engineering
- Experience in MCNP & SGEMP highly desired
- Experience developing software / writing code in Fortran, Java, C++, C#
- Experience with one or more of the following codes: MCNP, ITS, CEPXS/ONELD, THTK, WinGS, SREMPTAPS, XEUS, SLAPEM and EM-1
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills, and the ability to interface with all levels of employees and management
- Active, in-scope DoD Top Secret clearance
Back to top