Staff Optical Communications Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems has an opening for an AdvancedOptical Communications Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals on a development program at the Autonomous Systems Center of Excellence in San Diego, CA. AsOptical CommunicationsEngineer you will be the developing advanced technical ideas and guiding their development into a final product.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert the field ofOptical Communications and other Beyond Line of Sight (BLOS) links for Autonomous Systems.
- Act as an advisor to management and customers on advanced technical applications.
- ProvideCommunications subsystem guidance and coordination across the engineering organization.
- PerformCommunication subsystem analysis and system performance trade studies.
- Understand, derive and maintain applicable system and subsystem requirements.
- Lead efforts to define models for Communications subsystem installed performance analysis, and work with performance analysts and/or operational assessment analysts to help implement and confirm the efficacy of performance models.
- Author and release technical documents.
- Perform as a focal point for analyzing data from laboratory and flight tests, and support formally verifying solution meets requirements.
- Serve as a key technical member of the Subcontract Management Team (SMT) to oversee supplier technical performance.
- Provide training to junior engineers.
- Average travel for this position is approximately 25%.
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics) discipline from an accredited university and 14 Years of STEM related experience; or 12 Years with Masters; 9 Years with PhD.
- Active DoD Top Secret Clearance with in-scope SSBI.
- Experience in the field of Optical Communications.
- Advanced working knowledge ofcommunication technical principles, theories, and concepts.
- Master's degree or PhD inapplicable field.
- Supplier Management Experience.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate across program level (management, engineers, and technical leads), and negotiate / integrate different viewpoints.
- Ability to work on self-initiated assignments.
- Ability to write in-depth technical reports and present to executive leadership.
- Must be able to travel up to 25%.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top