Staff Engineer Systems - Navigation
- San Diego, CA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Job Description: Our program is seeking a candidate to support the Vehicle Management System (VMS) Hardware Avionics team as part of the Navigation Subsystem team. The VMS group is responsible for vehicle flight control and safety. The Hardware Avionics group is responsible for management of the following VMS subsystems: navigation, Identification Friend or Foe (IFF), Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS), Radar Altimeter (RadAlt), Air Data System (ADS), flight actuation system, Integrated Mission Management Computer (IMMC flight computer), VTC, and the Ethernet switch. This position has an emphasis on the Navigation subsystem. General duties for the candidate will include: navigation subsystem lab testing, flight test support, anomaly resolution, requirements development, and supplier management, among other duties.
The VMS Hardware Avionics team seeks candidates with strong written and verbal communication skills, the ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, and the ability to organize work, manage time, plan, and prioritize.
VMS team members perform technical planning, system integration, verification and validation, cost and risk, and supportability and effectiveness analyses for total systems. Analyses are performed at all levels of total system product to include: concept, design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal. VMS team members ensure the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints. VMS team members perform functional analysis, timeline analysis, detailed trade studies, requirements allocation and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications.
- Bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) and at least 14 years of related experience with a BS, or 12 years with Master's, or 9 years with a PhD
- Experience with SW Tools: Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Project, Visio), MATLAB
- Excellent understanding of the GPS system, the GPS Signal in Space characteristics, inertial sensors, GPS/INS tightly coupled Kalman filters, and GPS receiver design
- Active Interim Secret Clearance or higher
• Degree type: MS
• Clearance Level: TS
• Flight Test experience: Significant experience desired
• Supplier management: Significant experience desired
• Requirements development: Significant experience desired
• Requirements verification testing: Significant experience desired
• Proficiency with test equipment (oscilloscopes, signal generators, signal analyzers, multi-meters): Significant experience desired
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top