Staff Engineer Systems - FPGA Designer
- Baltimore, MD
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems Sector (NGMS) is a leading global provider of secure software-defined, hardware enabled mission systems. Our company is pioneering capabilities in a wide variety of sectors that keep our nation and our allies safe from undersea to space and cyberspace.
NGMS is seeking Staff Systems Firmware Engineers with the desire to learn new technologies to join our innovative Test Design Solutions (TDS) team to help develop, enhance and maintain firmware on cutting edge products and systems. Join a design community that offers unique design challenges that combine the talents of multiple engineering disciplines including Hardware, Firmware, Software, Mechanical Design, Systems Engineering and Program Management.
Candidate will develop, integrate, and document FPGA designs for test instrumentation systems. These systems include VxWorks based systems and Linux based server systems employing data driven framework that's used widely across the sector. Typical applications involve data acquisition, stimulation/control of systems during test, interface translation, data injection, playback, and data analysis. Conducts multidisciplinary research and collaborates with equipment designers and/or hardware engineers. Responsibilities encompass all phases of product development, including requirements development, concept design, detailed design, integration, documentation release, and maintenance/support. Analyzes system capabilities to resolve problems on program intent, output requirements, input data acquisition, programming techniques and controls; prepares operating instructions; designs and develops using compilers, simulators, and utility programs. Ensures system firmware standards are met.
The ideal candidate is a self-driven problem solver. Employee will spend a significant amount of time after completing design and implementation in various program integration labs supporting debug, analysis, and other program events, ensuring the systems meet program requirements. Throughout product lifecycle development, they will work closely with systems engineers, hardware design engineers, software engineers, and customers, troubleshooting and correcting root causes of various system level issues.
Additionally, the selected individual will conduct reviews of FPGA designs and additional technical documents. The responsibilities include active participation in Integrated Product Teams (IPT), design reviews, and other reviews, as required. The selected individual will actively participate in the technical peer reviews to ensure system/firmware requirements are being met from an end to end system point of view. Individuals must be self-starters and able to efficiently operate in a team environment. Existing engineering and system specialists will be made available to assist with any activities associated with executing primary tasking. However, the selected individuals will be expected to prioritize and make recommendations to Technical Leads, as required, to implement tasking assigned.
This position is located in Linthicum, MD
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or other related STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) degree
- A minimum of 14 years of experience in a related industry (12 years with MS, 9 years with PhD) with performing FPGA design, test, and product integrations via VHDL and Verilog coding
- Experience developing firmware for Xilinx and Intel(Altera) devices
- Experience with using standard test equipment, including oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, protocol analyzers, pattern generators, and spectrum analyzers
- Excellent integration troubleshooting skills
- Technical leadership experience
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Candidates must be a US Citizen with the ability to obtain a U.S Secret clearance prior to starting employment
- Active secret clearance (or higher)
- Proficiency in FPGA design using Xilinx and Altera toolsuites
- Proficiency with VHDL and Verilog
- Experience with real-time signal processing implementations
- Working knowledge of common open standard interfaces and protocols (Ethernet, sFPDP, PCI Express)
- Experience with VxWorks real-time OS
- Experience with Linux OS
- Experience with hands-on troubleshooting of server-based systems: working knowledge of RAIDS, servers, data acquisition, and data analysis
- Experience with ClearCase/ClearQuest Configuration Management Tool set
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top