Staff Engineer - RF Microwave Design
The candidate will work in a primarily technical role on national space systems satellite programs. This position focuses on design and production of effective communications systems and Telemetry, Command and Ranging systems within firm fixed price and schedule constraints. As a Staff Engineer, the candidate will lead a small team to define and describe robust RF solutions while working within system constraints on mass, power, and volume. The successful candidate will have strong technical skills coupled with the ability to organize and direct the efforts of a small engineering team.
In particular, the candidate will be involved in:
- Design and analysis of communications systems for satellite applications. The candidate must be familiar with RF analyses such as link budgets, digital modulation/coding, gain/loss budgets, noise figure, etc.
- Requirements flow-down from top-level customer document through subsystem-level definition to component-level specification. The candidate is expected to produce clear, concisely written documents that will be used as the technical basis for high dollar value procurements.
- Prepare and present design reviews for internal and external customers. The candidate will have regular interaction with the internal engineering and program management team as well as the external customer.
- Requirements verification based on customer's top-level requirements compared to subcontractor and prime actual implementation. The candidate will be able to concisely summarize findings and present them to the end customer.
- Subcontractor management (some travel required both domestic and international) and manufacturing interface definition including performance specification, interface control drawing, and statement of work generation. The candidate will work with potential subcontractors to ensure any technical solution meets the top-level customer's needs while satisfying system and program constraints. The candidate will help to develop good working relationships with existing and new suppliers.
- Support integration and test of the RF system including unit-level functional and environmental testing, spacecraft level testing, and in-orbit checkout (some travel and occasional shift work required).
- Cost account management for engineering portion of multi-year program, including cost and labor hour estimating, task scheduling and earned value tracking.
- Support proposals and technical studies.
- BSEE (or related field) + 15 years of experience with some combination of the following course work: microwave theory, satellite communications, radio-wave propagation, electromagnetics, antennas.
- Active TS Security Clearance
- Experience with and understanding of communications and microwave theory.
- Ability to work with others from engineering and non-engineering disciplines in a fast-paced team environment.
- Oral presentation skills and comfort with customer and supplier interaction.
- Ability to write technical documents clearly and concisely.
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
- Some domestic and international travel required.
- Occasional 2nd or 3rd shift work and/or weekend work required.
- Active TS Security Clearance with valid SSBI
- MSEE (or related field) a strong plus
- Experience leading small engineering teams in development or production of RF system
- Well organized and able to keep track of and make progress on multiple simultaneous tasks
- Able to function under pressure
- Familiar with engineering analysis tools such as MATLAB or Mathcad, and support tools such as Visual Basic for Applications
- Experience in one or more of the following areas a plus:
- Microwave component/system measurement techniques and equipment
- Digital modulation/demodulation schemes for high data rates
- Spread spectrum applications for command/telemetry
- Use of TDRSS for vehicle command and telemetry
- DOORS Requirement Database
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top