Staff Electrical Engineer: FPGA Design (Top Secret)
- Dulles, VA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work; and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Tactical Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman's Tactical Space Systems is seeking a motivated candidate that will fill the position of FPGA Design Engineer. In this role you will perform tasks which include development, performance modeling, end-to-end simulation, and implementation of FPGA designs for use in satellites and other space vehicles. Work will include design, verification, and testing of FPGA design targeting specific hardware platforms using simulation tools or in a lab environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In this role you will:
• Develop FPGA requirements based on flowed down requirements and expand these requirements to include derived requirements
• Develop FPGA architecture supporting flowed down and derived requirements
• Develop VHDL code meeting requirements for targeted FPGAs including Microsemi and Xylinx
• Verify FPGA timing margins and perform full simulations using ModelSim or equivalent design tools
• Perform analysis to show design meets throughput and timing meeting requirements
• Verify design using simulation or in a lab environment working closely with support personnel during the design and verification process
• Develop material for and participated in FPGA Design reviews
• Must have U.S. Citizenship with a current or active Top Secret/SCI level clearance
• A degree in Electrical Engineering and minimum of 14 years with a BS, 12 years with Masters, or 9 years with PhD of experience is required
• Must be able to develop FPGA requirements and be able to show traceability to requirements and technical references
• Working knowledge of analog and digital systems and familiarity and with common bus architectures and serial communications schema (cPCI, Mil STD 1553, Synchronous serial communications, etc.)
• Must have the ability to use and collect test data using digital storage oscilloscopes, digital multimeters, logic analyzers, and in-circuit emulators
•Strong and demonstrated RTL VHDL skills - Verilog and system Verilog is helpful
• Familiarity with SynplifyPRO, Libero SoC, LiberoIDE, Designer, Aldec Riviera PRO
• Create or review presentations, emails, trade studies, and reports for content and accuracy
• Have worked with Microsemi and Xylinx FPGAs in a space environment
• Experience with multiple clock domains
• Experience partitioning designs
• Able to effectively communicate findings to customers and management
• Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build effective working relationships with customers, coworkers, and vendors
• Be a self-starter capable of performing assigned tasks with minimal direction
• Be able to work in an inter-disciplinary functional team
• Knowledge of programming languages including C/C++ or scripting languages such as TCL/TK or Python is strongly desired
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top