Staff Airworthiness Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Performs technical airworthiness planning and verification support including development and negotiation of airworthiness plans, basis of certifications, means of compliance, and certification activities for complex total systems with NGAS IPT/REs as well as customer counterparts in support of Northrop Grumman Corporation's Military Aircraft Systems (MAS).
Review and coordination with other airworthiness engineers as well as internal engineering disciplines performed at all levels of total system to include: design, fabrication, test, installation, operation, maintenance and disposal. Performs functional and process analyses, requirements allocation and definition studies to translate customer requirements into criteria and requirements. Ensures the logical and systematic realization of customer airworthiness requirements into system solutions to meet program objectives (e.g. Flight releases, Type certification, continued airworthiness, and operation or airspace integration)
- Bachelor's degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM) from an accredited university with a minimum14 years work experience on manned or unmanned aircraft systems (or12 years with a master's degree), with at least five of that in an assignment working Airworthiness (Military or Civil)
- Experience in leadership of small teams
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, Word, and Access.
- Military aircraft development or modification experience
- Ability to initiate Airworthiness Certification process improvement initiatives
- An active Secret Security Clearance with a periodic review or a reinvestigation within the last 5-6 years and the ability to obtain and maintain special program access
- DoD Airworthiness Experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter with the ability to work under general direction
- Design and Systems Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: Structures, Flight Technology, Air Vehicle Subsystems, Avionics, Mission Payload Integration, System Safety, Flight Test
- Familiarity of MIL-HDBK-516B Expanded and -516C
- Experience with one or more of the following: MIL-STDs-1797, 810, 1530, 3013, 882E, 1796
- USAF Airworthiness Policy Directives, Instructions, and Airworthiness Bulletins (AWB)
- System Safety Risk Assessments (SSRA), program risks and hazard analyses
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Meet Some of Northrop Grumman's Employees
A’Darien J.Enterprise Communications Professional
A’Darien oversees executive and organizational communications within the company in order to ensure all Northrop Grumman employees are kept in the know and are aware of the company’s values.
Back to top