Sr./Princ. Structural Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Tactical Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Perform thermal and structural vibration analyses of electronic hardware designs using FEA based software tools. Determine component temperatures for a variety of environments and assess random vibration fatigue life. Recommend electronic packaging design improvements based on the results of analysis. Support environmental test programs. Support project system and design teams. Support project team meetings and reviews, with a high degree of personal and professional responsibility. Support continuous refinement and improvement of development methodologies and processes. Interface with Project Managers, Project Element Managers, Task Managers, and Mission Assurance Managers to develop appropriate thermal engineering requirements and plans for Space Projects.
This position can be filled at either the Principal Structural Engineer or the Sr. Principal Structural Engineer level, based on education and years of experience.
Basic Qualifications for Principal Engineer:
• Requires a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, or Physics.
• 5 years plus of experience in structural/thermal analysis and testing of electronic assemblies both at the board level and at the chassis level.
• A background in electronics packaging engineering or manufacturing.
o Ability to perform thermal and structural engineering tasks associated with analysis, design, and testing of electronics structures and circuit card assemblies.
• A background in vibration, shock, and thermal testing of space based electronic assemblies.
• Excellent computer skills, including and use of computer-aided engineering tools.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including being fluent using the full Microsoft Office suite of software.
• The ability to work with multiple interfaces.
Basic Qualifications for Sr. Principal Engineer:
Includes above qualifications, but must have at least 9 years of Structural Engineering experience.
• Experience with Creo Parametric or equivalent 3D modeling software.
• Experience with Mechanical Analysis and tools such as NX FEMAP/NASTRAN, or equivalent FEA tools.
• Experience with thermal analysis and tools such as Solaria Thermal, Ansys TAS or equivalent.
• Familiar with Printed Wiring Board (PWB) design and fabrication.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top