Sr. Principal Systems Engineer
- McLean, VA
Are you interested in expanding your career through experience and exposure, all while supporting a mission that seeks to ensure the security of our nation and its allies? If so, then Northrop Grumman is the place for you. As a leading global security company, we provide innovative systems, products and solutions to our customers worldwide. We are comprised of diverse professionals that bring different perspectives and ideas, understanding that the more experiences we bring to our work the more innovative we can be. As we continue to build our workforce we look for people that exemplify our core values, leadership characteristics, and approach to innovation.
Northrop Grumman Defense Systems sector is seeking a Sr. Principal Systems Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in McLean, VA. The qualified applicant will become part of Northrop Grumman's Department of State (DOS) Consular Systems Modernization (CSM) Program, for the Bureau of Consular Affairs (CA). This initiative is intended to modernize and consolidate the operational environment under a common technology framework in order to better support the services provided to CA's customers.
As part of the modernization program, the Sr. Principal Systems Engineer will be responsible for a wide range of systems engineering activities and associated work products including requirements definition, concept of operations, systems modeling, system interface development, estimation, and trade studies.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work with the product owner to understand customer business needs and priorities
• Work with solution train management to prioritize product backlog and ensure customer priorities are aligned
• Work with architecture team to ensure the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints
• Define and manage requirements, both functional and non-functional, as high level epics, features and user stories to support SAFe Agile methodology
• Create the product backlog to support Agile scrum teams
• Baseline and maintain product backlog to support redesigning CSM systems to meet modernization, integration and operation & maintenance requirements
• Develop wireframes and/or user interface prototypes to supplement requirements
• Develop concept of operations (CONOPS) and high-level solution plans to meet customer business needs
• Define the system domain and develop system models using model-based engineering (UML and SysML).
• Develop Interface Control Document (ICD) to define system interface specifications
• Provide estimates, time, resources, and cost, for project roadmap planning and prioritization
• Lead Decision Analysis Resolution (DAR), gap analysis, and trade study activities for system engineering-related areas
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
• Bachelor's degree in STEM and at least 10 years' experience
• Experience in software development and maintenance projects with involvement in requirements management, technical design/development, and deployment steps within SDLC
• Experience supporting systems engineering activities for software projects specializing in application development of web and/or mobile-based applications
• Experience defining system domains and developing system models using model-based engineering (UML and SysML)
• Background in Agile Software Development, specifically experience in developing detailed user stories to include precise and descriptive acceptance criteria
• Experience with employment of CONOPS for the development of system architectures and requirements that are optimized to meet the customer's operational needs at lowest cost
• Must have a current, active Secret (or higher) clearance. An interim clearance may be acceptable.
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
• Experience modernizing enterprise software systems (web and mobile-based)
• Experience in cloud based environments including the creation of systems engineering solutions that involve public/hybrid clouds
• Experience using engineering environments and tools that support Agile Software Development, such as IBM Rational Collaborative Lifecycle Management (CLM)
• Experience creating software development product backlogs, roadmaps, and release plans
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top