Sr. Principal Systems Architect
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems is seeking a Sr. Principal Systems Architect with outstanding leadership skills and hands-on experience in development of sensor payloads and complete mission solutions. The Architect will utilize their deep background in Radar, Electronic Warfare (EW), or Electro-Optical / Infrared (EO/IR) technologies to help develop architectures for future multi-function sensors. The Systems Architect will join the Systems Architectures group which provides full life cycle mission systems engineering to captures and programs. This positon is located in Linthicum, Maryland.
This Systems Architect will be responsible for:
- Ensuring the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- Performing functional analysis, timeline analysis, capability simulations, detail trade studies, requirements allocation, and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware, software, firmware, and integration and test specifications.
- Interface with multiple disciplines including customers, internal executive management, program management, hardware, software, and system engineering, procurement, suppliers, and manufacturing. In addition, the applicant must be able to lead, and report progress for requirements documentation, technical risk management, key system performance parameters, and lessons learned.
The successful candidate will clearly demonstrate strong leadership skills and will have a track record as an effective communicator and problem solver who is able to develop and maintain good working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. The candidate will have an ability to operate in a team environment and collaborate across the sector business areas as required to accomplish the team goals.
Role responsibilities include:
- Performing key systems engineering elements to meet a given program's requirements
- Design and develop sensor system architectures
- Define key capabilities and performance requirements
- Perform functional analysis, timeline analysis, detail trade studies, requirements allocation, and interface definition studies to translate customer requirements into hardware and software specifications
- Perform system performance modeling
- Provide physics level and mission level modeling subject matter expertise;
- Develop thorough definition of system interfaces; and,
- Guide system implementation approaches for operational concepts.
- Ensure the logical and systematic conversion of customer or product requirements into total systems solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints
- Develops modifications to existing products to meet unique customer needs, and supports/leads the development of next-generation products within a market segment.
- Leads/oversees technical work products developed by the larger engineering team, supporting design reviews and integration and test activities as needed.
- Supports capture activities, including RFI/RFP preparation, customer presentations and live demonstrations, and competitor analysis.
- Maintains knowledge of current and developing technologies and develops strategies for their insertion into both legacy and next-generation sensors
- Responsible for close customer cooperation to ensure that requirements meet customer expectations
- Presentations to customers and senior management and tailored material based on the audience.
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM discipline (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) with at least 9 years of professional experience in a related area; 7 years of experience with a Master's degree; 4 years with a PhD.
- US Citizenship with an active DoD Secret clearance is required.
- Experience with one or more of the below topics
- Radar Systems Engineering
- Radar Antenna Design / Development
- Electronic Warfare or SIGINT experience
- Embedded systems
- Relevant experience in Algorithm development
- Radar Systems Engineering
- Active Top Secret, or TS/SCI with counter-intelligence polygraph.
- Leadership experience with development and/or production program execution
- High proficiency in technical problem solving, to include decomposition, root cause analysis, solution development, implementation and monitoring.
- Multi-disciplined knowledge in areas related to engineering including systems design, hardware, software and firmware design, integration and test.
- RF, Radar, EW, or EO/IR technology background with sensors development and implementation experience.
Back to top