Sr. Principal Structures Design Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems located in Redondo Beach, CA has an opening for aSr. Principal Structures Design Engineer.
In this role you will:
* SupportupcomingSpace and/or Air programsand will participate in the resolution of complex mechanical design problems for space/ airbased platforms and missions involving composite and metallic structures.
* Perform and lead mechanical design of structures and deployables.
* Perform requirements definition, conceptual design, preliminary / layout, and detail design, drawing release, design review presentations, and support to fabrication.
* Lead a multi-discipline work package including interfacing with customer, technical support, and directing and mentoring junior engineers.
* Work closely with stress, manufacturing, materials and processes and test to develop design requirements, define structural load paths, develop CAD models and prepare engineering drawings to fabricate flight and structural test articles.
* Provideleadershipand oversight of Suppliers to verify/validate mechanical design requirements and ensure qualification/certification deliverables are provided and meet requirements.
The position requires experience in: both Composite and/or Metallic Mechanical Design.
- Bachelor of Science in a STEM discipline from an accredited universitywith9 years of industry engineering experience; a Master of Science in a STEM discipline from an accredited university with 7 years ofindustry engineering experience, or a PhD with 4 years of industry engineering experience.
- Experience withCAD modeling software
- Working knowledge of engineering drawings and related Bill-of-Materials.
- Working knowledgeofGeometricDimensioning &Tolerance applications (GD&T).
- Working knowledge of tolerance stack-up analysis
- Experiencein supporting and/or leadingin a design team environment
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret and/or SCI clearance
- Bachelor and/or MastersDegree in Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, and/or Aerospace Engineering
- Experience working on Special Access Programs
- Participation in multiple design cycles in spacecraft/aircraft development programs
- Current (in scope) DOD Secret and/or SCI clearances
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, be skilled in use of the Microsoft Office software suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top