Sr. Principal Structural Engineer
- Brigham City, UT
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
We are currently seeking an experienced Sr. Principal Structural Engineer to provide capabilities and leadership to our Composite Structures/Case Design & Analysis team in our Promontory, UT offices.
Role description & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the development of flight hardware for composite rocket motor cases and related structures using design by analysis methods and tools:
- Lead major analysis efforts and coordinate technical efforts based on knowledge and experience
- Analyze complex load conditions for rocket motor case products using advanced in-house codes coupled with finite element analysis
- Design and analysis of laminates, sandwich structures, bonded/bolted assemblies
- Lead and contribute to composite material characterization activities including test method development, test support, data reduction/analysis and calculation of material allowables
- Develop engineering documentation products (drawings, specifications, design and analysis reports, test plans, test reports, etc.)
- Oversee and plan testing for development and qualification of flight hardware products.
- Lead a small team to include task and schedule planning to meet major project milestone objectives
- Design and analyze rocket motor cases using Orbital ATK proprietary computer codes.
- Design and analyze associated components and structures, both composite and metallic, to achieve lowest cost from design and lean manufacturing principles.
- Perform 2D and 3D structural analysis for the design of flight hardware and test articles using Siemens NX CAD software and ABAQUS/CAE tools to optimize mass.
- Write test plans, support fabrication and test efforts, oversee testing, analyze test data and recommend revisions to design based on results.
- Master and help maintain standard analytical processes.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 7 years of engineering design and/or analysis of composite structures experience with a MS in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil (Structural) Engineering or equivalent. Alternately, a BS degree with 9 years' experience is required.
- Knowledgeable of Composite Structures Design, Analysis and Optimization is a plus.
- Knowledgeable of Siemens NX, ABAQUS/CAE and ABAQUS solver are a plus.
- Broad understanding and knowledge of composite materials in design, analysis and manufacturing processes
- Strong skills using Classical Lamination Theory and related tools as well as optimization techniques for minimum mass structures
- Strong knowledge of design and analysis of flight structures
- Strong skills in CAD and Finite Element Analysis with the ability to quickly learn new design codes and FEA tools
- Strong, proactive analytical problem-solving skills and ability to deal with ambiguity
- Understanding of filament winding methods, part datum fabrication schemes and tolerance analysis methods
- Ability to work in a fast paced dynamic environment as part of a multi-discipline team
- Excellent time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills with the ability to clearly present technical information to all organizational levels in written and oral formats
- Assertive and proactive approach for collaboration and team work
- Able to see how the system works (big picture) while working on individual components (details)
- BS/MS degree in Mechanical, Civil or Aerospace Engineering required.
Back to top