Sr. Principal RF Systems Engineer
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
The candidate will work in a technical role on National Security Systems (NSS) programs. This position focuses on development of new ground systems and concepts through the production of flight and ground programs. As a Senior Principal engineer, the candidate will work in a team environment to define and describe robust RF solutions to challenging applications while working within system constraints on mass, power, volume and existing infrastructure in fielded ground terminal locations. The successful candidate will have strong technical skills, ability to organize and direct the efforts of a multi-disciplined engineering team, and demonstrated motivation to investigate new concepts.
In particular the candidate will be involved in:
- Design and analysis of communications systems for satellite applications. The candidate must be familiar with RF analyses such as link budgets, digital modulation/coding, gain/loss budgets, noise figure, etc.
- Requirements flow-down from top-level customer documents through subsystem-level definition to component-level specification. The candidate is expected to produce clear, concisely written documents that will be used as the technical basis for high dollar value procurements of RF equipment such as converters, filters and high power amplifiers.
- Prepare and present design reviews for internal and external customers. The candidate will have regular interaction with the internal engineering and program management team as well as external customers.
- Subcontractor management, ground terminal equipment installations (travel required) and manufacturing interface definition including performance specification, interface control drawing, and statement of work generation. The candidate will work with potential subcontractors to ensure any technical solution meets the top-level customer's needs while satisfying system and program constraints.
- After transition from concept to production program, the candidate may also support ongoing technical interface with the subcontractors during field testing, component manufacturing, as well as integration and test of the communications system including unit-level functional and environmental testing, spacecraft level testing, and in-orbit checkout.
Must possess a Top Secret security clearance with a valid background investigation
- 9 years of Electrical experience with abachelors degree in Electrical Engineering(or related field) with some combination of the following course work: microwave theory, satellite communications, radio-wave propagation, electromagnetics, and antennas. Good understanding of communications and microwave theory
- Ability to work with others from engineering and non-engineering disciplines in a fast-paced team environment
- Familiar with the operation of standard RF test equipment (i.e., spectrum analyzers, power meters, network analyzers)
- Experience in the areas of satellite ground station design, operation, and/or repair and maintenance
- Good oral presentation skills and comfort with customer interaction. Ability to write technical documents clearly and concisely
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (particularly Excel)
- MSEE a strong plus
- Experience with digital modulation/demodulation schemes for high data rates
- Experience with microwave component/system measurement
- Familiar with engineering analysis tools such as MATLAB/Simulink and STK
- Experience leading engineering teams in development or production of RF systems
- Familiar with cost account management concepts, including cost and labor estimation, task scheduling and earned value tracking
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top