Sr. Principal Mission Systems Operations Engineer - Top Secret - NGSpace
- Colorado Springs, CO
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Northrop Grumman Space Systems is seeking a Mission Systems Operations Support Engineer to be a member of a cross-discipline specialty engineering team located in Colorado Springs, CO responsible for operational analysis, system problem/anomaly resolution, data trending, operational product sustainment and performance analyses. The team also provides program expertise on subsystems engineering and maintains a baseline of operational products for a highly complex system. The candidate will have an active role in shaping the basis of how to execute satellite planning and operations. The candidate should be a self-starter who has a passion for space and wants to be part of a team who shares that passion.
Responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Supporting on-orbit operations throughout the flight demonstration phase of a complex space system
- Providing mission planning expertise to maintain spacecraft/payload and ground system health
- Developing and enhancing operational procedures, scripts, tools and processes
- Investigating and diagnosing unexpected system signatures
- Supporting the coordination and execution of system maintenance tasks across multiple contractor organizations including customer and external system partners
- Providing 24x7on-call support to lead the resolution of system issues and anomalies. May involve periodic rotating crew shifts to maintain proficiency.
This requisition is for multiple candidates to be a part of an operational crew. Multiple positions at varying experience levels will be filled
Basic Qualifications for Sr. Principal Mission Systems Operations Engineer:
- Bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM) and 9 years' experience in a related engineering field such as mechanical, electrical, aerospace and/or operations; 7 Years of experience w/ a Masters Degree; 4 Years with PhD. Degree requirement can be waived with significant experience on operational space systems.
- Knowledge and experience in satellite operations engineering disciplines to include attitude control, power management, thermal control, propulsion, command and data handling or flight/ground software
- Must possess and be able to maintain a current DoD Top Secret clearance and SSBI
- Experience with developing and presenting briefing slides to customers
- Support mission simulation, scripting, rehearsal and verification activities
- Previous experience with troubleshooting, anomaly resolution and performing analysis on operational systems
- Ability to develop and maintain operational procedures, products and training materials
- Ability to work odd and/or extended hours covering a 24/7 period and periodic rotating shifts
- Strong technical background in orbital mechanics/astrodynamics
- Experience with rendezvous and proximity operations or formation flight
- Experience with optimization techniques and their application to trajectory optimization and/or multi-objective optimization
- Familiar with a variety of astrodynamics tools (System Tool Kit (STK), FreeFlyer, NASA General Mission Analysis Tool (GMAT), Orbit Determination Toolbox (ODTBX))
- Proficiency with one or more of the following programming languages/tools: MATLAB, Python, SIMULINK, Fortran, Java, C/ C++
- Prior aerospace-related work experience for a U.S Government Agency or Contractor
- Experience briefing high-level customer and company leadership on complex technical topics
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual contributions as well as allow employees to share in company results. In addition, Northrop Grumman provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage, life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business. Learn about Northrop Grumman Total Rewards and Benefits.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top