Sr. Principal Mechanical Systems Engineer- Undersea Vehicle Design
- Annapolis, MD
The Hardware Engineering department at Northrop Grumman Undersea Systems in Annapolis, Maryland, is seeking an engineer with undersea vehicle design experience to help launch new undersea vehicle projects. A successful candidate should have experience with underwater/Navy systems such as Unmanned Underwater Vehicles (UUVs), Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs), Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs) or underwater gliders.
Our team focuses on developing and delivering complex, dynamic, maritime products and related services of strategic importance for our nation. This position will see you working in close collaboration with a multi-disciplinary group with the potential to contribute on projects across the product life cycle including design, build, test, support, and operations.
Roles and Responsibilities could include the following:
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop undersea vehicle related requirements, interface definitions, and concept of operations
- Generate design concepts and support for the execution of trade studies to refine performance
- Lead or support the definition of the undersea vehicle system architecture and arrangements to meet mission objectives
- Apply Model Based Engineering principles to design and technical communications
- Develop new or adapt existing subsystem and/or system models of increasing fidelity to estimate performance including structures, controllability, propulsion, range, power / energy, time-on-station, observability, etc.
- Design undersea vehicle subsystems, perform design analyses, and create drawing packages
- C reate weight and buoyancy estimates and track trends and margin consumption throughout the design process
- Develop integration and test strategy, plans, and procedures to help drive on-target delivery
- Prepare and brief technical packages to company leadership and government customers
- Support project and program processes, reviews and technical planning activities
Applicants should be motivated self-starters. Our diverse and dedicated engineering team encourages collaboration and is committed to personal and technical growth. We are distinguished by our welcoming workplace culture that supports work-life balance, innovation, and STEM outreach, all of which have made Undersea Systems a great place to work for more than 50 years
Basic Qualifications for a Sr. Principal Level are:
- Bachelor's Degree in Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or a related field and 9+ years' of experience; 7+ years of experience with Master's Degree, or 4+ years of experience with a PhD.
- Experience in undersea vehicle system design or operation
- Experience in one or more undersea engineering skillsets (i.e. architecture development, mechanical design, structural analysis, hydrodynamics, control systems, etc.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have an active or current DoD Secret Clearance
- A Masters or Doctorate degree in Naval Architecture, Ocean Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or a related field
- Extensive experience in undersea vehicle design
- Experience in undersea vehicle performance or subsystem modeling
- Experience in the development and assessment of undersea vehicle system architectures
- Experience in undersea vehicle autonomy development, vehicle control theory, and/or control system design
- Experience in providing engineering support to undersea vehicle fabrication or integration activities
- Experience in planning or executing subsea test events
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities to include mentorship and working/interfacing with customers
- Active or current DoD Top Secret with SSBI/SCI, poly preferred
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top