Sr. Principal Mechanical Engineer
- Linthicum Heights, MD
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have the opportunity to work on revolutionary systems in the air, space, sea and on the ground, with global impact. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, and we drive to do what others think is impossible.
This position includes performing structural analysis on aerospace, shipboard, ground based, and space radar systems and structures. The tasks will encompass loads development, stress analysis (static and fatigue), and vibration analysis of metallic and composite structures. Experience performing classical structural analysis and finite element analysis of complex problems is essential. Both written and verbal communication skills are important for clear presentation of results through reports and presentations. Candidate must be able to collaborate in a team environment, mentor less experienced personnel, prioritize and organize tasks to support program milestones, and prioritize multiple program responsibilities to accomplish them simultaneously.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Civil Engineering.
- Typical minimum structural analysis experience / education: 9 years with Bachelors in Science; 7 years with Masters.
- Classical structural and finite element analysis including static, non-linear, modal, and vibration analysis.
- Awareness for cost reduction and structural efficiency.
- US Citizenship with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret clearance per business requirements.
- Software experience: MSC Patran/Nastran or NX CAE/Nastran, and Microsoft Office applications.
- Develop FEMs at the detail and assembly levels.
- Structural project leadership or stress team leadership experience, with oversight of multiple analysts.
- Comfort with presentation to internal and external customers.
- Advanced degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil Engineering or a related field.
- Active Secret/Top Secret/SCI clearance.
- Experience with structural test applications.
- Experience with DOD and/or FAA program structural load environmental requirements.
- Experience performing electronic component solder joint fatigue/durability analysis.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top