Sr. Principal Mechanical Design Engineer 4
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems located in Redondo Beach, CA has an opening for a Sr. Principal Mechanical Design Engineer 4. The selected candidate will support Spacecraft programs and Advanced Technologies and will participate in the resolution of complex mechanical design problems for space based platforms and missions involving composite and metallic spacecraft structures. The candidate will perform mechanical design of spacecraft structures, deployables, and opto-mechanical design. Duties include requirements definition, conceptual design, preliminary / layout, and detail design, drawing release, design review presentations, and support to fabrication. Responsibilities will include leading a work package including interfacing with customer, technical support, proposal technical inputs, cost estimating, directing and mentoring junior engineers, and meeting schedule and cost commitments.
The candidate will work closely with stress, manufacturing, materials and processes and test to develop design requirements, define structural load paths, develop CAD models and prepare engineering drawings to fabricate flight and structural test articles. He/she will provide close integration and oversight of Suppliers to verify/validate mechanical design requirements and ensure qualification/certification deliverables are provided and meet requirements. The position requires extensive experience in: both Composite and Metallic Mechanical Design; knowledge of other related disciplines; exposure to scheduling, budgeting, & risk management; and full understanding of requirements for SRR, IDR, PDR & CDR.
- Bachelors of Science Degree in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering) with 9 years of experience designing composite and/or metallic primary and secondary Aerospace structures OR Master's Degree in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering) with 7 years of experience designing composite and/or metallic primary and secondary Aerospace structures OR a PhD in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Aerospace Engineering) with 4 years of experience designing composite and/or metallic primary and secondary Aerospace structures.
- Working knowledge of CAD
- Experience with engineering drawings and related Bill-of-Materials.
- Experience with Geometric Dimensioning &Tolerance applications (GD&T).
- Experience withtolerance stack-up analysis.
- Experience working in anAerospace design team environment.
- Ability to obtain and maintainSCI or DoD Secret clearance
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, be skilled in use of the Microsoft Office software suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Working knowledge of CATIA V5 or NX 10
- Experience working on Special Access Programs is preferred.
- Participation in multiple design cycles in spacecraft development programs is desirable.
- Current (in scope) DoD Secret and SCI clearances is preferred.
- Previous leadership of a spacecraft structural engineering team is preferred.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top