Sr. Principal Linux/VMware Systems Administrator
Northrop Grumman is seeking an experienced Linux / VMware Systems Administrator in the Linthicum, MD area who will apply system administration and troubleshooting skills in support of multiple, dynamic software development and test environments.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
• Managing and maintaining secure, minimally-interrupted operations of Linux servers and virtualized environments.
• Supporting bare-metal and virtual machines; coordinating actions with peer system administrators, network administrators, security teams, software teams, and hardware engineers; devising, recommending, and implementing performance-enhancement, reliability-enhancement, and automation solutions.
• Installing, hardening, and patching Linux operating systems.
• Troubleshooting end-user issues.
• Developing and documenting technical procedures.
• Primary system administration duties reside in classified environments; proto-typing, testing, and proof-of-concept work is done in an unclassified environment when possible.
The selected candidate will:
• Be proficient working from a command-line environment.
• Be able to partition disks, create logical volumes, create file systems, and mount file systems in Linux environments.
• Read, modify, and create shell script and scripts in various other languages.
• Understand basic LDAP and DNS concepts and be able to query these services for information and troubleshoot issues in Linux environments.
• Learn new technologies on own and work effectively independently, while still coordinating actions as required.
• Install and configure COTS software, and perform configuration and maintenance in Linux environments.
• Interact with and successfully utilize boards-of-approval to maintain required security controls and configuration management.
• Perform technical research on Information Technology topics, as requested, and produce presentations and recommendations.
• Be able to build complex VMware environments and have experience with ESXi, Vsphere, Horizon View, Vmotion, VCenter and VDI's.
• Have a solid understanding of SAN's and there interaction with virtual environments.
• Bachelor's degree and 9 years of related experience, or Master's degree and 7 years of related experience, or 13 years of related experience in lieu of a completed Bachelor's degree.
• US citizenship.
• Active TS/SCI/CI poly security clearance.
• Ability to maintain required security clearance.
• Current Security+ CE or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire date.
• Ability to be cleared to special access programs.
• Ability to lift equipment weighing up to 40 pounds.
• Ability to work after hours and weekends as needed.
• Linux experience.
• VMware experience.
• Redhat System Administration certification(s).
• Experience with NAS storage device (preferably NetApp) administration (ONTAP 8.x or higher ; CDOT).
• Solid understanding of Enterprise-level storage concepts to include all commonly-used RAID-levels.
• Redhat Satellite Server (version 5 and version 6) configuration and usage experience.
• Solid understanding of remediating security vulnerabilities.
• Experience hardening Redhat systems in accordance with RMF and STIGs.
• Identity Management (Single Sign-On) experience.
• VMware and ESXi (6.x or higher) configuration and management experience.
• Experience with host-based firewall implementations and configuration (Redhat "iptables").
• Experience building custom "rpm" software packages for Red Hat platforms.
• Windows (7, 10) administration experience.
• Windows Server 2008/2012 experience.
• Group Policies (GPOs) experience.
• Active Directory management experience.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top