Sr. Principal Engineer Systems
This Systems Engineering position is for an engineering leadership role on medium caliber gun systems programs within Northrup Grumman Armament Systems. As part of the Project and Systems Engineering group, the Systems Engineer coordinates planning, requirements definition, system design, integration and verification of assigned engineering projects. This position is located in Mesa, Arizona.
The Senior Principal Systems Engineering position carries the following set of primary responsibilities:
• Accountable to the Sr. Systems Engineering Manager, Project Engineer and Program Managers for meeting technical performance measures, cost targets, and schedule requirements on assigned engineering projects.
• Performs planning and generates system level requirements for gun and gun controls system development and testing projects, including: voice of the customer techniques, requirements development and management.
• Participates in the safety assessment process including generation of fault trees, safety requirements and a contribution to safety assessment documents.
• Leads trades studies focused on selection of system level architecture for gun and gun control systems.
• Generates and executes the validation and verification strategy, resulting in a fully qualified product that ready for production.
• Leads system integration and test of guns and control systems including test planning, test equipment development and test execution.
• Works with design, mechanical, electrical, software, manufacturing and quality engineers through the development process and ensures timely flow of information among and between engineering team members.
• Participates in the risk management process including generation of system performance risks and risk reduction strategies.
• Leads failure investigations and associated corrective actions.
• Presents work products at program reviews, proposals, or other project meetings.
• Prepares and plans cost estimates and written technical proposals.
• Acts as a technical interface to external customers, and forms working relationships with representatives of external technical organizations.
• Shares knowledge with other engineers.
• Supports and leads continuous improvement initiatives within the overall engineering department.
• BS in Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace or Systems Engineering
• At Least 10 years of design and development experience
• Demonstrated experience in requirements writing and decomposition.
• Experience with the validation and verification process and tools (such as DOORS or TcSE)
• Familiarity with mechanical and electrical engineering processes and other specialty engineering activities within the product development process.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in achieving results through understanding and management of internal processes and customer/supplier relationships.
• Knowledge of operations of upstream process inputs (Lead System Integrators, Business Development, Contracts, Pricing, Program Management, Project Engineering, and Systems Engineering).
• Knowledge of operations of downstream process customers (both internal and external: Modeling & Simulation, Configuration Management, Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing Operations, Assembly, Test, System Verification & Validation, Integrated Logistics Support, and End User).
• Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications.
• Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to focus on multiple projects and deliver status on risk areas and required actions.
• Experience writing engineering planning and verification documents
• Ability to scope and generate product test plans, lead tests as Test Engineer and generate comprehensive test reports for internal and external customer distribution.
• Demonstrated experience working with customers to ensure project success.
• Experience in performing failure analysis and driving implementation of robust corrective action
• U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
• Position may require domestic and international travel,
• Experience involving mechanical systems with electronic controls and software is highly desired
• Design experience with safety critical control systems involving MIL-STD-882 is highly desired
• Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM) is preferred.
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top