Sr. Principal Engineer Systems
- Plymouth, MN
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history -from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Defense Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our products include launch vehicles, propulsion systems, missile products, subsystems and defense electronics, precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition, satellites and space components and services, and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Defense Systems is seeking a Sr. Principal Engineer Systems to work at our Missile Products Division in Plymouth, MN. The ideal candidate will have leadership abilities, an intense desire to learn, and experience working in an engineering environment.
- The role will function as a technical lead, supporting programs for the Fuzing and Warheads Development Group. The position will provide oversight, planning and technical direction to engineering and design teams. You will also function as the primary technical interface with the customer technical team.
- Oversee the design architecture to meet customer requirements.
- Manage engineering design process to be in accordance with Northrop Grumman procedures.
- Provide technical oversight of design trade studies to select the best possible design solutions. Studies should take into account system performance and functionality, material selection, strength, weight, manufacturability and cost.
- Partner with program teams to prepare for technical interchange meetings and key program reviews.
- Coordinate the presentation of technical data at program reviews and in technical reports.
- Coordinate with production engineers and facilities to transition ordnance design into production.
- Coordinate Design for Assembly (DFA) and Design for Manufacturing (DFM) workshops during the design and development phase of the program.
- Direct the work of engineers of various disciplines to accomplish program objectives.
- Manage cost and schedule for assigned projects/programs.
- Organize/prioritize job assignments in a rapidly changing, short turn-around environment.
- Participate in business development activities including development of technology roadmaps, customer interface meetings, proposal writing and cost estimating.
- BS in Engineering is required; Mechanical or Aerospace degree is strongly preferred.
- 9 years experience with a BA or 7 years experience with a MS or 4 years experience with a PhD - of related engineering design experience with 5 of those years in a related technical leadership capacity.
- Previous defense industry experience.
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes and procedures.
- Strong understanding of computer aided design (CAD).
- Understanding of finite element analysis for structural analysis and thermal analysis of designs.
- Six Sigma and design for assembly / design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM) experience.
- Experience with cost account management and reporting, preferably Earned Value Management System (EVMS).
- Domestic travel: approximately 8-12 times per year to meet with customers and suppliers.
- U.S. Citizenship: must be able to obtain a Secret Clearance.
- Able to multi-task, delegate effectively, and possess exceptional time management skills.
- Excellent communication, writing, and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team leadership environment.
- Exposure to requirements management tools such as TeamCenter Systems Engineering or DOORS.
- Microsoft Office proficiency (Excel, Word, Power Point, Project).
If you are a dynamic and motivated professional, Northrop Grumman is the company that will help further your experience and career growth. We offer highly competitive salaries, an array of benefits to give you the support you need, and the opportunity to connect with coworkers in an environment that's professional, creative and ﬂexible. Join our team and Work On What Matters.
Why consider a move to Plymouth, MN? Excellent schools, affordable housing, low crime, and an active outdoor culture just to name a few. Yes, winter can be brutal, but Plymouth boasts more than half a dozen sizable lakes, extensive trails and parks and plenty of shopping, entertainment & sporting activities. When the weather is warm, local outdoor activity is thriving! With affordable cost of living, low unemployment, low crime, diverse recreation and schools ranked among the best in the U.S. - there is plenty to love about this area!
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top