Sr. Principal Engineer Structural
At Northrop Grumman we develop cutting-edge technology that preserves freedom and advances human discovery. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We continue to innovate with developments from launching the first commercial flight to space, to discovering the early beginnings of the universe. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
The Antenna Products Department is looking for the next Senior Principal Engineer Structural Design to join our department. This person will serve as the Antenna Mechanical Design Lead on a new program within our Electronics and Payloads directorate. This position will be based in Redondo Beach, CA. The selected candidate will perform the following tasks.
- Knowledge of spacecraft structures including primary/secondary structure made of metallic, advance composites, and/or Honeycomb materials and construction.
- Knowledge of antenna reflector structures, and RF components and assemblies.
- Knowledge of material strengths and properties, design processes & criteria, loading conditions and verification processes (e.g. non-destructive testing, witness coupons, etc)
- Ability to analyze complex structures, perform structural stress analysis (stress, strain, deflection, thermal distortion) to demonstrate design margins against the mechanical, thermal & test requirements.
- Ability to perform trade studies on large reflective surfaces to meet required acoustic induced loads.
- Knowledge of bolted and/or bonded joint designs to minimize peak stresses.
- Ability to design for maximum predicted environments generated by extreme temperatures, accelerations, acoustic loads, shock, and random vibration loads.
- Experience and proficiency to perform stress analysis using FEMAP, Patran, Nastran, and Mathcad.
Unique ID: elepay
Unique ID: SOUTHBAYJOB
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil Engineer or other STEM related discipline from an accredited institution and 9+ years experience; or a STEM Master's degree and 7+ years of experience; or a STEM PhD. degree and 4+ years of experience
- Experience with spacecraft structures including primary/secondary structure made of metallic, advance composites, and/or Honeycomb materials and construction
- Experience with CREO/Pro Engineering, Catia 5, NX or other 3-D CAD software package
- Experience with FEMAP or Patran and Nastran
- Experience with Mathcad or Matlab
- Experience with discrepant hardware processes
- Master's Degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Civil Engineer or other STEM related type degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years of experience developing space hardware and mechanisms
- Experience of Antenna systems and Architecture
- Experience with RF components and assemblies
- Experience with electronics integration, packaging, and cable & harness design
- Knowledge of A&E Hardware
- Ability to perform trade studies
- Experience with environmental testing requirements and experience with mechanical testing
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top