Sr. Principal Engineer: RF Microwave Design - Space Systems
- Dulles, VA
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today!
Northrop Grumman Space Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
In this role, you will be joining a team of 6 who are responsible for antenna RF designs and test. Based on specific objectives, you will perform analysis, design, or test of complex designs without detailed direction from more senior engineers. You will study design concepts and criteria to ascertain the engineering principles involved and with general direction, plan, prepare, and complete the design. You will evaluate the completed design with more senior engineers and other technical groups and make any modifications necessary to achieve a design that satisfies requirements. You will develop, coordinate, and conduct the test programs required to evaluate the design. You may also oversee, with senior engineer oversight, component supplier design, analysis, manufacture, and test.
In a typical day, you would be running antenna simulations and participating in technical meetings.
- Design, analysis, optimization, manufacturing, and test of antenna systems for wide variety of satellite programs
- Ability to oversee the complete development and space-qualification of integrated antenna systems and components from performance definition to final spacecraft-level test, including cost, schedule, and technical responsibility
- Generate key procurement and hardware development documents including Performance Specifications, Interface Control Documents, Test Plans and Procedures, and Statements of Work
- Technical assistance to Subcontracts in the negotiation of component specifications, deliverables, cost, and schedule
- Subcontractor management and continuous technical monitoring throughout the procurement life cycle (some travel required)
Additionally, you may:
- Provide integration and test support for the antenna systems including unit-level functional and environmental testing, spacecraft level RF range testing, and in-orbit checkout
- Support to Business Development initiatives on antenna performance and cost estimates for rapid turn-around proposals
- Support design and analysis of a variety of antenna types including: reflectors, horns, wire antennas (e.g., helices), and arrays through modeling/simulation with a variety of industry-standard design tools such as GRASP, POS, CHAMP, HFSS, MATLAB, etc.
- BS in a STEM field (ideally Engineering) & 9 years of experience (or Masters with 7 yrs; PhD with 4 yrs)
- Experience in satellite reflector antenna and phased array antenna designs
- Have an active Security clearance
- Possess aerospace experience
- Experience with antenna range testing, including Far-Field and Near-Field
- Adaptive to fast paced, dynamic environment
- Dependability and good interpersonal skills - Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Cost Account Management skills a strong plus
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/ AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Back to top