Sr Principal Engineer Packaging
- Redondo Beach, CA
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems in air and space that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our work preserves freedom and democracy, and advances human discovery and our understanding of the universe. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have a lot of fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Space Systems sector is seeking an Engineer Packaging 4 to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position is located in Redondo Beach, CA.
• Designs, develops, and tests a wide variety of containers used for the protection, display, and handling of products.
• Determines packaging specifications according to the nature of the product, cost limitations, legal requirements, and the type of protection required, considering need for resistance to such external variables as moisture, corrosive chemicals, temperature variations, light, heat, rough handling, and tampering.
• Designs package exteriors considering such factors as product identification, sales appeal, aesthetic quality, printing, and production techniques. Responsibilities may include documentation management and an understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs).
• Review contract requirements to meet packaging requirements, design packaging handling, storage, and transportability (PHS&T) devices, and create packaging instructions based on military (MIL-STD-2073) and commercial (ASTM) standards.
• Perform moderate to complex and applied engineering analyses, adapting and modifying standard techniques, and procedures as required.
• Participates in packaging design reviews to ensure packaging, handling, storage, and transportability engineering concepts are customer compliant and support capability constraints.
• Provides Program hardware move and logistics support, locally and out-of-state (as required), as the operational lead/move captain, and is responsible for establishing the move line of command, assessing the move, preparing communication plans and other move preparation prerequisites, move execution, and provides follow-up for logistics operations.
• Complex logistics operation planning as it pertains to determining required personnel, transportation and material handling equipment, timeline of significant events, oversize load/overweight permit requests, and any other key requirements to make operations successful. This includes hardware movement by land, air, and ocean.
• Participate in Pre-ship Readiness Reviews, led by Mission Assurance, to ensure packaging and logistics completeness and readiness of each item of hardware, prior to release for shipment to another facility.
• Create, revise, and maintain drawings and specifications for container/pallet packaging requirements.
• Leads point of operation training and proficiency evaluation training role for transportability personnel with respect to powered industrial equipment (ex. Forklifts, Tugs, Overhead Cranes).
• Lead and focal point for developing, writing, and reviewing Program proposals, including proposal management as required for packaging engineering material requirements, labor staffing, and material cost efforts.
• Create Basis of Estimates (BOE) for packaging labor, container costs, logistics support, for complex projects based on information from contract requirements and leveraging historical Program data.
Back to top