Sr Principal Engineer Mechanical
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Responsible and maintain cognizance for all technical and programmatic aspects of the hardware product(s) being developed and delivered, reporting the status and performance to the appropriate organizations. The candidate will work in teams that apply research to the planning, design, development, and testing of mechanical and/or electromechanical systems, instruments, and/or machines such as planetary rovers, landers, motion control systems, and surface sampling systems. Work in a collaborative environment to design, analyze, build and test mechanical components, devices, structures and assemblies, including mechanical ground support equipment (MGSE) and tooling for a Flight Project. Interface with engineers, analysts, designers, manufacturing specialists, machine shop, flight techs, and project staff. Establish requirements, and specify interfaces for flight hardware under development. Work independently, and under the direction of the technical leads and project management. Develop procedures for build, test, assembly, and operation of mechanical hardware. Prepare, coordinate, and deliver formal and informal technical peer reviews.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Robotics, or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 15 years of related experience or equivalent.
- Practical experience using advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in solving mechanical engineering problems, with the ability to perform trade studies, develop conceptual configurations, engineer piece-parts and mechanical systems, and facilitate the fabrication, assembly, and qualification of hardware.
- Expertise in mechanical engineering disciplines for the design, analysis and test of structures and mechanisms, including strength of materials, machine and structure design, structural/mechanical testing, manufacturing engineering, mechanical systems, and machine shop practices.
- Practical experience using Unigraphics/Siemens NX and or SolidWorks Premium CAD modeling software, in a Product Delivery Management (PDM) or similar Concurrent Engineering environment.
- TeamCenter experience preferred. Demonstrated experience developing and delivering mechanical parts, assemblies or mechanical systems.
- Demonstrated experience performing stress analysis of structures and mechanical elements, using classical hand methods and Finite Element Modeling (for example, SolidWorks FEA Simulation Premium).
- Experience with computer aided design and drafting, and spacecraft flight hardware development and test.
- Ability to solve mechanical design problems, perform trade studies, develop design requirements, perform piece part design, and coordinate fabrication, assembly, and qualification of hardware.
- Good verbal and written communications skills with ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Active TS/SCI clearance required.
- Knowledge of Standards for Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) per American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Y14.5.
- Knowledge of academic and industry practices and standards across a range of applications related to the development, production and safety of aerospace flight hardware and systems.
- Experience leading one or more junior engineers or techs on an engineering project.
Back to top